iPhone X Apple wanted me to pay 430$ for a problem created by Apple itself, my experience.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eirik2306, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Eirik2306, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

Eirik2306 macrumors member

I wanted to share my experience of how Apple treated me with a warranty problem on my half year old iPhone X. I got my iPhone X in december 2018, as an refurbished exchange unit after a battery replacement. The iphone X has worked for the most part but with a slightly clicking screen.

The screen has became worse with even dust getting inside the phone and blocking the functionality of the Face-Id camera. This is a warranty problem without a doubt, the authorised Apple Service center, looked into the Iphone x and said i need to pay 3699,- NOK (430$) and replace the screen for a problem that i havent caused. They even had the balls to say i broke it. When the Iphone X itself was without even a single scratch and with a screen protector without one single scratch aswell. This is unethical and i will call greedy behaviour for the biggest company in the world.

I went down to the servicecenter again, and said of course im not gonna pay 3699,- NOK for an problem Apple caused themself with their seemingly bad quality control. And the guy behind the desk agreed with me and a new apple "expert" would take a look at the problem, and the following day. They sent me an E-mail said they will replace the whole iPhone X with a new Exchange unit. i expected that in the first place, when my 1000$ doesnt work like it should, that should be the first response, not to say i need to pay 430$ for an i would say already overpriced phone.

The servicecenter didnt even provide me with a iPhone i could loan, and they said the process would take 2 days, its now gone almost a week, and my exchange iPhone wont be there until friday. So the total wait time is around two weeks, not to two days.

Being an loyal iPhone user for 10 years, im starting to loose my faith into the 1$ trillion dollar company, if this is the way Apple made its way into the biggest company in the world, then this iPhone X was my last purchase.

Here in Norway we have 5 year warranty by law, but its unethical to charge 430$ dollars for 1000$ phone that didnt work properly. listening to others, i dont think im the only Apple consumer thats being tried lured into paying for something that they should have fixed in the first place.

2. Thai Suspended

Thai

In December 2018...what happened? Did you spend $1000 on a REFURBISHED unit? Was this unit refurbished by APPLE or a 3rd party?

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Have you ever heard the saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"?

This has been my experience with Apple. If you legitimately feel like you've not gotten the response you deserve, you try again. If you're getting the same response, elevate your case. If you actually have a case, it'll get resolved.

4. Eirik2306 thread starter macrumors member

I payed for a battery replacement, but the iPhone didnt work after they replaced the battery so they replaced the phone

5. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

I am legitimately curious if an actual Apple store would have handled it differently than an authorized Apple Service Center. Regardless it is unfortunate that you had that experience. I personally feel that things are, and have been changing. I cringe when people still use the 'it just works' saying. Its been quite a while since those days.

6. FFR Suspended

FFR

So you bought an iPhone X in December and replaced the battery?

That’s a bit strange.

Then apple broke it and gave you a refurbished model that had a defective screen?

And 6 months your asking for a warranty replacement.

Seems a bit odd.

which apple store did this happen in?

7. Eirik2306 thread starter macrumors member

Eplehuset servicesenter Oslo, Apple authorised servicecenter

8. chabig macrumors 603

Let's see...Apple's giving you a new phone for free and you're mad about that. :confused:

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Authorized. Apple. Service. Center.

So. In Oslo Norway is that the same as an Apple Store? This place? https://eplehuset.no/

An Authorized Apple Service Center is not Apple. Yes, they are authorized to repair and sell Apple devices. But your problem is with Eplehuset, not Apple.

10. FFR Suspended

FFR

Why didn’t you just return the first iPhone X if something was wrong with the battery?

You shouldn’t have accepted a refurbished model that was defective. If they broke your phone during the repair you should have asked for a refund.

11. Kung macrumors regular

Kung

I read up until this point...
    I could be wrong, but this to me is 100% of the issue. There is a *VAST* difference between an actual Apple facility/store and an 'authorized Apple service center.'

I know a few places locally that are authorized Apple service centers. One of them I would trust *ONLY* because I know the guy and they have a stellar reputation. The others I wouldn't touch with the proverbial 10-foot pole.

As much as this ticks you off (and it sure would me), Apple is not really the issue here - the authorized Apple service center is.

With this said, you might try contacting Apple themselves and see if there are any situations where other measures may be taken. I did indeed have success with Apple providing assistance in the past where the 'authorized Apple service center' royally screwed things up and then would not abide by their own rules. (They did tell me that they weren't obligated to do anything, but that it was a sort of 'good faith' effort.)

12. Eirik2306 thread starter macrumors member

1st iPhone: Battery degraded to 80% the first year, exchanged into a new refurbished unit

Second iPhone: a small slight little click in the right corner, got worse over time, returned after gjetting dust in the face id camera.

The last iPhone is the One with the problems

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This doesn’t say much. Because if your phone degrades to 80% in the first year, then I question what your usage was like degrade to grade to 80% in the first place. I’m not saying the battery wasn’t good, but 80% is the threshold.

14. ericwn macrumors 68030

Sounds tome as if you are dealing with third parties instead of communicating directly with Apple. If possible, call them directly and have them service you rather than some certified external shop.

15. riteshritesh macrumors member

If the OP had a choice of going to Apple directly, do some of you here still think that he would have instead gone to an Authorised service centre.
    In a lot of countries Apple doesn't repair themselves but appoints Authorised service centres.Not that we have a choice when it comes to repairs, but a screw up by the ASC, is a screw up by Apple themselves in our eyes.
    Most of the times these ASC's are overlooked by the local Apple representation in the country and they could be strict about ASC's being lenient during repairs and replacements.

16. FFR Suspended

FFR

Wait so now it’s 3 iPhones?

17. Eirik2306 thread starter macrumors member

Update: got a new refurbished iPhone yesterday, they offered to put on a new screen protector for free aswell. so Good service after a bit of problems in the beginning.

18. willmtaylor, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019

willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

While I’m tempted to say the same thing, I think there’s an argument to be made for the fact that, if Apple has deemed them an authorized center, then Apple shares part of the responsibility.

Now, someone ought to understand that this isn’t Apple (and we’ve both been around long enough to see sufficient stories to deter us from ever wanting to set foot in one), BUT if they’ve been authorized to buy, sell, and repair with Apple’s name, then customers should be able to hold Apple responsible for their actions to an extent, no?

Just a thought.

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Sure, but this is where I start actually dealing with Apple the company by phone or email. That pressures the business to do what they are supposed to do.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I've had a lifetime of expecting the worst out of people or business and almost never being disappointed.

20. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Isn’t there an Apple Store in Oslo?

Next time take a plane to Spain or Italy and make a ****ing fuss at the Apple Store and threaten to sue. That might work

21. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I've had several incidents of bad service at Eplehuset (Apple Store) at Youngstorget in Oslo, for both work computers and my private computers. It seems to me that they've done anything they can to get out of taking responsibility. I'm obsessive about taking good care of my tech, and readily admit when any problem might have been caused by me. But that store has consistently told me that I've dropped things, that I've experienced water damage, etc.

22. ericwn macrumors 68030

Good points but if my garage messes up my car service I’m not going to blame the manufacturer but the garage mechanic directly.

23. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If an Apple "authorized" service center provides subpar experience, then I do see some interest on Apple to fix it. It's not like the OP went to some guy in a kiosk at the mall. Apple must have set standards, procedures and tools to enable someone to call themselves "authorized" and if that entity is not performing to those standards, I think the customer has a legitimate grievance towards Apple.

24. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Apple usually is one of the better companies to do business with. Overall they treat the customers well and make exceptions where appropriate
    Of course each situation is unique and more importantly the person at the Genius Bar has to be well trained and well seasoned to make an appropriate judgement call when necessary
    Bottom Line: most customers walk away with positive feedback. Remember Apple wants to keep you as a customer