Apple wants $600 for 1TB SSD while Samsung's 1TB m.2 sells for $229

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Tom80112, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Tom80112 macrumors member

Tom80112

Why does apple need to rip us off for upgrades?

The SSD is soldered so we don't even have a choice other than
    buying a PC and going the hackintosh route.

Has anyone built or seen a hackintosh with a PC case smaller than
    the mini? I would consider it if the case was smaller and cooler looking.

2. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Saying you don't have any choice but to buy Apple's SSD or a different computer is inaccurate. The enclosure does up the cost, but you can connect an external 1 TB M.2 SSD via Thunderbolt 3.

3. M_Scout macrumors newbie

4. F-Train, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018

F-Train macrumors 6502a

Thread Title: Apple wants $600 for 1TB SSD while Samsung's 1TB m.2 sells for $229

First, that is a sale price that ends tonight (see photo), in case you didn't already know that when you posted this.

Secondly, that is not even Samsung's fastest flash drive, let alone as fast as the drive in the Mac mini. Indeed, I looked at this sale yesterday and decided that I wasn't interested, even at $229.

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 12.27.37 PM.png

5. MacWorld78 macrumors 6502

MacWorld78

That Samsung external SSD, the price will come down eventually hopefully next year.

I think Next-gen Mac Mini, the RAM might be soldered just like SSD :eek: if people continue to buy bigger SSD from the Apple website.

6. Tom80112 thread starter macrumors member

Tom80112

The HP Slice looks about 2 inches smaller in both horizontal directions.
    I7 + 16GB + 512GB internal SSD looks cheaper. If there are any Hackintosh
    people out there, do you think Mohave will work on this?

[​IMG]

7. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Where are you seeing this configuration? All hp's site shows is a 6th-gen i7 with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. That is not a like to like comparison. I think you are not fully appreciating the speed of the new mini, especially its SSD. It is pretty fast especially at the higher capacities. Sure there is a premium you are paying, but if you really look into what Apple are providing, I do not think the premium is as much as it looks like at first glance. The new mini would smoke the machine listed on hp's site.

8. Tom80112, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018

Tom80112 thread starter macrumors member

Tom80112

To all those suggesting an external SDD, Why?
    You buy a Mac Mini to have the smallest possible foot-print on your desk.
    Adding external peripherals just defeats the purpose of buying a Mac Mini.
    Yes there is the Imac but I decided the glossy screen causes too much reflection for me.
    So it's either a larger foot-print MacBook Pro into a display with Anti-glare, Mac Mini,
    or something smaller like the Slice. Doesn't hurt to explore all your options for
    running OSX.

--- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2018 ---
    On Amazon you can select 8/16/32 for ram then 256/512/1TB for SSD on the I7 Slice.
    The I7/16GB/512-SSD Slice prices out about $100 cheaper than the 4-core i3/16GB/512-SSD
    The I7/16GB/1TB-SSD Slice prices out about $320 cheaper than the 4-core i3/16GB/512-SSD

9. SkiHound2 macrumors member

Yep, I don't disagree with the general sentiment that Apple charges a lot for upgrades (especially the 32gb ram upgrade in the mini). But ssds in the current Apples are about as good as it gets and their ssd prices are so out of line when compared with comparable products. Now, I'd prefer less expensive, larger, and slower ssds. Since even using USB 3 they are fast enough for my needs.

10. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I see it. So $1329 versus $1699. You get a 6-core 7th-gen i7 instead of 4 core 6th-gen i7, faster (likely significantly faster write) SSD, 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of 1 USB-C, and the newer iGPU, plus native macOS. Sorry man, but the Slice doesn't really stack up.

11. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

The i7 is a three-year-old quad-core Skylake mobile processor. You're looking at comparable performance to the i3 Mac mini, which is $1,399 with 16 GB of faster RAM and a faster 512 GB SSD.

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Apple's SSD prices are a ripoff. No question about that.

But external SSDs are pretty small and take up very little space. I've been using a Sandisk one that's barely a 3 inch square since my 2012 Mini.

If you do decide to go with the HP, also have a look at the Intel NUC. Not bad looking, small, and upgradeable.

13. Tom80112 thread starter macrumors member

Tom80112

I was price comparing the Mac Mini i3 4-core to the HP Slice I7 4-core.
    You are inferring I am comparing the Slice I7 to the Mini I7 which is incorrect.
    Don't miss quote me, it muddies up the comparison.

For the sake of your I7 to I7 compare, the 2018 mini with 1TB SSD is $620 more.
    To some that is a lot for cash if all they need is 4 Cores + Hyperthreading.

14. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

My mistake. Point is still valid. The i3 is a pretty good chip that will be comparable to the i7 you are looking at. All of the other features of the mini still exist, faster SSD, better connectivity all for the same price ($1329 vs $1399). The Slice really is not a good comparison. And comparing the 1 TB versions of both i7s does come out worse for the mini than comparing the 512 GB versions, but the 1 TB mini is even faster than the 512 for write speed.

I get being upset about the price increases. I know I am, but the mini seems to be getting a bit of a bad wrap here. The SSDs are very fast and much faster than the cheaper SSDs most people are comparing them to. Are they overpriced? Yes, they most certainly are, but not as much as people are making it out to be. I have tried finding a comparable Windows machine, and I don't think I can.

15. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

External SSDs are not huge.
    I boot MacOS on external SSD and have a backup (also external). If the Mac goes down, I can connect the external SSD to another Mac and get right back to working.
    Also, that external SSD will always be with you. You can spend the money to buy 2TB now, five years later when you upgrade your computer, that 2TB SSD is still with you, so you don't have to spend on storage again.

16. torana355 macrumors 68030

Samsungs nvme ssds are just as fast as the ones Apple uses, in fact I'm certain Apple are using Samsung ssds with thier own controller.

17. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

No, Apple is using Toshiba's NAND chips. Samsung has nothing to do with it. I do not know about speed, I just know that they are not from Samsung.

Yes, Toshiba has semiconductor industry, for those who didn't know: https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/top.html

18. torana355 macrumors 68030

Interesting, do you have anything to back up your claim? In the past Apple has used Samsung ssd.

19. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Look it up on iFixit's teardown page.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2018 ---
    Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 9.57.44 AM.png

20. Zenithal macrumors 603

Just to clarify, you linked the EVO which is TLC NAND. I doubt Apple uses TLC NAND and opts for MLC NAND which is available in the 970 Pro PCIe NVME drive. $380 but usually hovers around $415-430.

21. torana355 macrumors 68030

Cool you learn something everyday I guess. That being said Apple have been known to source parts from different suppliers for example using Samsung and LG for thier LCD panels.

22. Zenithal, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 603

This is correct. However, the new MBP's sequential read and write speeds are less than that of the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB PCIe NVME drive, and thus the average is better than the MBP's SSD.

If the MacBook Pro refresh thread on MacRumors from this past July is accurate. Based on some earlier reports and various posts on the web, it appears Apple uses a slightly slower SSD setup in the '18 Mini than the mid-'18 MBP.

23. thirdsun macrumors member

I disagree. The size and footprint of my desktop computer is very irrelevant to me. The Mac Mini looks beautiful, of course, but for all I care it could have been a mid sized tower if that had enabled more customizabiliy and upgrade potential.

I think most people buy the Mac Mini not due to its size, but because it happens to be the only Apple computer that isn’t outdated or comes with a display.

24. brentsg macrumors 68040

The original comparison is almost certainly comparing different types of NAND too. Yes, Apple charges a lot for storage upgrades, but there is no need to do mental gymnastics trying to exaggerate the point.