Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is aiming to stop the sale of a new insider book called "App Store Confidential," written by former Apple employee Tom Sadowski who ran Apple's App Store business in Germany until November 2019.

After the book was published yesterday in Germany, Apple sent a cease and desist letter to both Sadowski and publisher Murmann Verlag, reports German news site Focus (via iMore).

appstoreconfidential.jpg

Apple claims that the book reveals "business secrets" that are of "considerable economic value," but Sadowski denies the inclusion of proprietary information. Apple also says that Sadowski has violated his employment agreement.

Apple has demanded that Sadowski and his publisher stop selling the book, recall all copies in circulation, and destroy the manuscripts, which Sadowski does not plan to do.

In a statement, Apple said that it has "long supported a free press and supports authors of all kinds" but Sadowski violated employee agreements that should be "applied equally and fairly to all employees."

The book is available only in German and according to one site that read the book, EN24, Apple's allegations are "not entirely understandable" because the author "mostly reveals only the obvious." It's described as "just banal" and more of a field report than an in-depth business analysis, but Apple is notoriously secret so it's no surprise that it wants the book banned either way.

Article Link: Apple Wants to Stop Publication of 'App Store Confidential' Book Due to Inclusion of 'Business Secrets'

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
If they are information covered under NDA, and Apple employees are leaking these secrets in violation of their NDA, then Apple has every right to sue for a cease and desist. It's the law, a legal contract. Of course, NDA also has expiration limits such as "You are not to divulge this and that knowledge during your tenure at Apple up to 2 year after you have left Apple's employment."

But otherwise... if not legally covered under NDA, Apple really has no legal weight or right to do much here.

Also: no one remembers Yentl. :cool:

Reactions: CarlJ

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Apple has demanded that Sadowski and his publisher [...] destroy the manuscripts

Because no bad ever came from destroying works we disagree with. Even if this book does violate some agreement or contain trade secrets, the book should be held, unpublished, somewhere because we shouldn't go around permanently erasing what people create just because we disagree with them.

Honestly, Apple seems more and more petty and vindictive as each day goes by.

Reactions: decypher44

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
So...it's in German. And I don't read German. But I just ordered a paperback version. Spent $23+ on a book I'll never read.

There is no better way to sell a book than to ban it. The author should thank Apple (and the media) for making App Store Confidential #2 in German-language books.

Reactions: LuciusWrong

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
More like Apple wants to stop its publication because it exposes Apple's "30% Take" nonsense and other scams they pull. Apple is so slimy

Reactions: Carnegie

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'll buy the German PDF version then translate to English in Google Docs.

Apple probably has more issue with the ex-employee PR than the content.

Last edited:

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
I dont know the content of the book, but it is a factual matter to say that Apple is being investigated for "anti-competitive" behavior relating to, wait for it...the app store!

So i expect the guy has something interesting to say.

These issues are relevant us the public, because we should be aware of the way Apple is seeking to turn society into the most profitable version possinle, which isnt always ideal for us, the customer.
[automerge]1582146244[/automerge]
Back to burning books now, are we? What a time to live in.
Apple is all about freedom and consumer protection...

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
More like Apple wants to stop its publication because it exposes Apple's "30% Take" nonsense and other scams they pull. Apple is so slimy
Apple's 30% cut is one of the most widely known parts of the developer program. I mean, they announced it with the App Store reveal for crying out loud. Developers literally sign the agreement themselves. Apple does not force anyone to develop apps for their devices! Why do people keep calling the 30% cut a scam?! I suppose no one who's saying that has ever heard of ANY other business deal ever?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.