Apple Warranty and 3rd party SSD's

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hoangcong, Nov 11, 2010.

1. hoangcong macrumors member

I would like to know if someone have experienced installing a SSD from another manufacturer and then got some issue with the machine, removed the mod and sent it to apple for repair and they didn't know it has been modified?

Is there anyway they would ever know even if no sticker have been removed?
    If so, how would they know?

I am looking forward to adding an SSD later on when they are cheaper and hopefully faster.

Still waiting for it to arrive though, as I just ordered a custom iMac i7 yesterday :D:D:D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Warranty or Apple Care is not void, if you replace the HDD with an SSD. Apple even offers instructions on their Support page.
    Thus no need to cover anything up.
    But if you damage any part of your MBP, which you can't replace easily, during extraction of HDDs or SSDs or RAM sticks, you void the warranty.

And plurals don't need apostrophes, even when used with abbreviations, otherwise this sentence would look like this:
    And plural's don't need apostrophe's, even when used with abbreviation's.

3. hoangcong thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the information spinner.

it's a imac not a MBP like you said (imac forums eh ;) ), so does it apply to imacs as well?

does that apply to installing a second hard drive in the machine as well?
    I read a lot of things on this forums so I am trying to sort out the facts. :)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

:eek:
    Haven't noticed where this thread was, thus assumed you would talk about MBs or MBPs.

Apple does not really have any official warranty statements regarding the opening and re-configuration of iMacs, as far as I know, though one can send one's iMac to some companies to let them do upgrades (OWC for example).

As the procedure of replacing the HDD in an iMac is quite complicated for John and Jane, Apple will probably consider the warranty void, if they find an alternate configuration (SSD instead of HDD or even second HDD) inside the iMac.

If you haven't yet, maybe take a look at ifixit and its guides for HDD replacement on iMacs.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as everything is the same as originally, it should be fine. I know plenty of people have done this with RAM and HD and the general rule is that your warranty is not void unless you break something (or remove warranty voided if removed stickers).

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It doesn't really say anything. Just that Apple does not cover damage that has been caused by the user. That's all. Nothing about DIY installs.

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

If apple has not seen any damage, has not seen the void warranty sticker tampered with, or has not seen any 3rd party components inside the iMac, they have no means to which they can void your warranty.