Apple Warranty cover this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by T0Mlol, Apr 29, 2011.

1. T0Mlol macrumors member

My iPhone 4's dock connector is not working with most of my accessories like my iHome, car chargers, fm transmitters, certain wall chargers. It doesn't even fit in and I look inside and see some of the gold prongs bent here and there. I have no idea how this has happened but It's making me mad becuase sometimes throughout the night, my iPhone will just stop charging half way and then the next day it's about to die.

Basically, I just made an appointment at the apple store for a little later tonight for them to look at it but do you think this will fall under the warranty and they will issue me a new iPhone 4 or are they going to say this is my fault and not give me a new one?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I hate to say this, but they will probably say that it is a result of user damage. And frankly, I'd say that they are correct. They might replace it for free, but I think it is more realistic to expect them to charge you $200 for an out of warranty replacement.

3. iFiend macrumors 65816

Hmmm this is a tough one.

I'd be honest and see what happens. Tell them you're having issues charging and see what they say.

I'm afraid it may not be covered though :(

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'm going to assume you're within the one year warranty or under three-year Applecare. But if that's not the case none of this applies.

It's hard to tell from the info you've given whether or not it'll be covered. If you just recently bought the phone and this problem has occurred from the beginning, then its very possible you'll be covered, but longer its been since you've had the phone, the more likely it is that they'll come to the conclusion that you cuased the bent prongs and therefore won't cover it.

You're best bet is to just go to the Apple Store and be polite and straightforward. Tell them when the issues started occurring and how it happened. Don't try to hide anything. And don't be an ass. I can't guarantee you'll get a replacement, but you might.

5. T0Mlol thread starter macrumors member

Let's see. I've had the iPhone 4 since day one. A few months ago I noticed it didn't fit into my car's iPod dock cable but fit into my charger at home fine so I didn't think TOO much of it. Now, I guess it's getting worse because it's not fitting in like any of my chargers. I just looked inside the dock connector and it looks to me like two gold prongs are bent up and maybe the whole middle bar is slightly down which is maybe why there is not a good connection.

I called and asked if I am having problems with my dock connector will the geniuses look at it and help me and the lady said of course. I don't have AppleCare but I am in my warranty period so I'm going to do like you guys said. I'm going to walk in and be serious and explain it all very nice and maybe they will swap it out for me or atleast I hope.

If they did swap it out, would it be new or refurbished? What's the difference as far as quality? Both the same?

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Whatever you get as a replacement will have the same performance and quality as a brand new one.