Apple Warranty on My iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bossman1113, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Bossman1113 macrumors newbie

I'm taking my iPhone 5C to the Apple Store tomorrow because my headphone jack hasn't worked since the first month I got the phone. I talked to a Apple Rep and he told me that fixing the jack would be covered under the warranty as long as there was no "accidental damage".

The only thing is that my phone also has a crack on the front of the screen. I'm not sure if that would hinder the store from fixing my phone under warranty. The crack and the headphone jack have no correlation because I cracked my phone months after the jack stopped working.

Do you think they will fix/replace it under the warranty with the crack there? Once again, it's the jack I want fixing, the screen has nothing to do with it. I just know Apple can be tricky about they're warranty and was thinking that they might take the crack on screen as "accidental damage".

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's possible - they may deem that the drop/incident that caused the crack could have caused the issue with the jack. Really depends on who you get. Just be patient, open and honest about the situation, that the jack was already an issue before the drop, and that you're not necessary looking for a new phone but just to fix the jack.

Above all, just be nice to whoever helps you, because it will probably depend on how they're feeling if they'll fix it or not with the damage being there.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

It might depend on where the crack is. If it's near the bottom then you have a good chance for a warranty replacement. If it's near the headphone jack than if may cost you. Anyway tell them the crack occurred long after the headphone jack started acting up. Good luck. :apple:

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The store can easily say the crack/drop is what caused the headphone jack problem. I am sure you are the most honest person around, but that really does not matter. How do they know?

5. cynics macrumors G4

By actually diagnosing the cause of failure. I do electronic service work and unfortunately I don't have the luxury of passing the buck without evidence proving it was user error per warranty regulations.

If I could do that I could probably pass everything off as non warranty. If the crack on the screen was opposite of the headphone jack, well the logic board that extends the length of the device to that crack was damaged and that's the cause of failure. I could make up tons of stuff all day long.

It's a shame a lot of these companies can get away with that by merely having an untrained technician (salesman) look at the exterior of the device and magically deem the cause of failure.