Apple Warranty Policy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Signal-11, May 18, 2009.

1. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

My MBP has had me in a foul mood and I'm just about ready to lose it over this stupid thing!

I have an early 2008 MBP (4,1 2.5GHz, 8600M GT 512MB) I bought a little over a year ago.

My trackpad button quit functioning properly some time in January and Apple replaced the top case. The replacement started failing within a few weeks and I took it back to the Apple store. The Geniuses immediately agreed with me that the button was bad again and they replaced the top case again.

When they gave it back to me, the top and bottom no longer fit well, with the top popping up from the lower case on the front. Took it back and they replaced the lower case. The optical drive wasn't functioning properly so they replaced that as well. For some reason, they also swapped out 4GB of my OCZ RAM for 4GB of Samsung. I ended up with a creaky keyboard and case but at this point, I had a functioning laptop so I didn't make of issue of it.

Now, this button is again really loose, double clicking when it should be single clicking, sticking and and driving me nuts. Three bad top case replacements in a row? I don't abuse this button at all. I've barely used it in comparison to the old button that functioned well for the better part of a year.

I'm six weeks out of warranty and I'm wondering if Apple will even give me the time of day about this top case issue. All I want is for my freaking trackpad button to function properly! The one time I skip AppleCare, this is what happens...

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I always thought that if Apple repairs your computer, those parts are covered for an extended 90 days from the day of repair. I might be wrong.. but I just have this feeling that's the policy. You might want to try to speak to Customer Relations because it sounds like Apple did a bad repair job. Call the regular Customer Support number and ask to speak to Customer Relations.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There is a 90-day warranty period for repairs of defective parts (no including HDD's and optical drives.) If you're experiencing the same problems on the same part, it should be covered. If you're not within the period, you might want to give CSR a call to see what they can do for you.

4. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Grrr. I just found the repair order and it's dated Feb 4. If this thing had just gone goofy two weeks ago, I'd be covered under that 90 days.

Half of me doesn't want to go through another huge hassle with Apple again and the problem will just go away.

You guys really think that Apple Customer Relations will do something about this?

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's possible, and certainly doesn't hurt to try.

6. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

OMG its bill gates, see i knew he was a mac guy inside, thats y they bought all those macs to make the xbox's...

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I hate to mention this.. but if you already knew you were having problems with this laptop during the warranty period, and it was generally acting like a "lemon" then Applecare for $160 from eBay a couple of weeks before your 1 year was up would have made perfect sense. If you were still covered with AC, it would be getting close to the point where you would get a replacement MBP for the repeated repairs (3 repairs of the same thing often = brand new replacement...) Having said that...you might still have a case on the covered repairs.

Anyway, I'd definitely try customer relations, and try to get someone other than the first person who answers the phone to listen to your whole story. Good luck.

8. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

9. jdaco6 macrumors regular

You may find an email to Steve may help. Apple Exec Relations pick it up and they will do there best to help you with this issue, as it clearly was a fault that 'started' in your 12 month warranty.

Hope that helps.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AppleCare or not, 3 bad repairs means a lemon—lemon means ask for a replacement!