Apple Warranty question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CristobalHuet, Apr 12, 2008.

1. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Hey all,

I'm planning on buying a Mac in the summer *maybe a Macbook as well as the iMac* and was wondering if the $200+ warranties for 3 years are worth it, or, generally I could just take it back to the store if there's a problem/look for help.

Do I really need it?

I know this is a dumb question, but is it worth it?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The general rule is that it is especially important for laptops. They are more prone to problems since they are moved around more. You have a year of coverage included. If you have many problems during that time, definetely get a warranty. On an iMac it's your call. On a laptop, definetely get it. After a year, you will pay lots of money if a repair is needed.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The "worth it/not" argument about AppleCare has been going on for some time. It's more useful on pro machines; I'd definitely get it if you're getting a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro. It's the user's preference on consumer Macs, but if anything drastic happens while you're covered, Apple will be there, and that's good to know.

Last/mid-rev G5 PowerMac owners who had their systems peter out on them generally received Mac Pros if the problem was not worth fixing, so you could end up with a better model if something horrible* happens to yours.

*TEF (Total Existence Failure) of Macs is a very improbable occurrence, but if you're worried (don't be, really), get AppleCare.