Apple warranty repair screwed up my screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by caonimadebi, Jul 14, 2009.

1. caonimadebi macrumors regular

I recently sent in my unibody macbook for a extremely stiff and creaking display hinge. The macbook was shipped back to me within four days, and apparently had the entire screen assembly replaced. When I saw the repair report I was secretly hoping that the screen would be upgraded to the improved MBP screen. The replacement screen that I got is a total lemon: When closed, the screen assembly is now misaligned with the body of macbook (when looked from the side the screen is no longer flush to the body, with one side slightly protruding out and the other slightly indented). The "new" screen also has a very obvious dead pixel, and the iSight camera is total crap (even worse than the one found on my 2006 core duo macbook). It almost feels like a "refurbished" part that was rejected from another unibody macbook.
    I sent in the macbook for one problem, and it came back with three. Is it fair for me to ask them to take a look at/repair it once again?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sure, if you are unhappy with the repair and there are tangible defects, send it back

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

4. caonimadebi thread starter macrumors regular

just an update on this issue:
    I took it in for a genius bar appointment, and to my surprise, the genius there didn't make a fuss about it being a "cosmetics there we won't repair" issue. Seeing that this is my second trip to the store for the same issue, the genius arranged for another in-store screen replacement that would be ready in an hour. I was quite happy to hear that it could be fixed while I waited.
    I returned to the apple store at 8:45 pm to pick up the macbook, just before they were about to close. I briefly inspected the macbook and saw what looked like a brand new screen assembly, and left the store happily. However, upon returning home and turning on the computer, I discovered that the airport card was not installed when the screen was swapped.
    I returned the next morning, demanding to be seen right away even though I didn't have a genius bar appointment. I talked to the same genius that handled my repair previously, and he sincerely apologized for the repair error, promised me that it'd be rectified right away, and proceeded to the back to talk to his manager. He came out with a repair sheet, apologized once again, and asked me if there is any gifts/accessories that I would like to compensate for the repair mistake they made.
    I thought about asking them for a free MDP to DVI adapter, as I didn't feel this was such a serious oversight. However, once I've confirmed that the genius/technician would not be punished for this mistake, I asked him if I could get a free ipod shuffle. He went back to talk to his manager again, and came out to offer to replace the MB with a brand new 13" MBP. You can imagine how happy I was to hear that. I've drooled so long for the backlit keyboard on MB, and the 7-hour battery.
    I figured that they were so willing to replace my macbook because the 2.0Ghz uMB is a recent model and they can easily turn it around to sell as a refurb for $950. But this makes me a little less inclined to buy a refurb in the future, knowing that I could be buying a 7-month-old Mac.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I hate you so much...lol

If only I could get my 9C89 2.0ghz swapped out for an MBP...oh well.

6. 5280m macrumors member

Congratulations. I got a replacement UMB when i needed a screen replacement. Im now left drooling over my wifes 13" UMBP.

7. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

you are the luckiest person i have ever heard of. my unibody macbook had about 20 dead pixels as well as a loose hinge and major screen bleeding in the bottom left corner. when i went to the store, the genius tried to make me feel guilty. he was like "well, i CAN replace it but it's not really fair because it is a minor issue and you can still use the computer. it's not FAIR to order a $700 part just because there are minor issues." The manager, who came 5 minutes later, suggested that since this was such a "minor" flaw, i should bring my computer in next time something more serious occurs.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I would have been livid if I were you. 20 dead pixels on a $1000+ computer isn't fair. What also isn't fair is having some "genius" talk down to you when your product is clearly flawed from the factory.

AppleCare would have gotten a very polite yet angry call from me with both the Manager and Genius' names reported.

9. 5280m macrumors member

I would definitely call applecare and report the problem. I got my whole macbook replaced for a piece of debris under the display after complaining about the service of the "genius" at the apple store. There is no reason to have more than 3 dead pixels on a computer that costs over $1000.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I thought the minimum was 5?

11. 5280m macrumors member

Apple has no set limit. It depends on the "genius" and what kind of mood they are in. The define the minimum as a few.

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

That part(the new AU LCD) is about $200 to me. a 20 year old college reject. I am certain it is cheaper to Apple, unless they have very, very poor negotiating skills.

I've been saying it for a long time. The genius bar is barely better than geeksquad. Don't listen to them, don't let them make you feel guilty. They do not belong there if they think a 13.3" B133EW04 costs $700.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

14. Cyclo0n macrumors newbie

Cyclo0n

Jeez, I sent my macbook 2 weeks ago to Apple for a screen replacement :D I hope they will do the same thing as with youre uMB because it would be greate if they give me a uMBP :D:D:D