Apple warrenty replacement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Phillyfan1290, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Phillyfan1290 macrumors newbie

Well now im not sure what to do..

Called apple up last weds. to get a service in for my ipad 2 for back light bleeding. they told me the only way I could, would be to send it in and in 3 business days i would receive a new one. Well 3 days passes I get no call or no info so I call. They said its supposed to ship out tomorrow. I kindly explain this is a business tool that I have customers sign contracts on. She understood and said for the inconvenience what would you like out of the apple store? I said a macbook pro would be great lol. But I guess an apple keyboard would work since I already got a free leather smart cover earlier for having to wait 3 days. she processed that and also processed 2 coupons for 100 off 300 on apple products not including iphones ipads and education store. (which i will never use since I also get education store pricing) so now I get a call saying my black 32 wifi wont ship for 3 WEEKS! now i get angry since im losing money everyday. they said they can ship me a brand new white ipad 32 wifi and just take my replacement in exchange. I take the guys number down and call the manager I have been dealing with and leave a message.

What would you guys do?
    What should i ask for in compensation to accept a model i didn't want to begin with?

I just dont know if I should take the white one or go buy an ipad 1 for the time till my black one ships.:mad:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I felt bad for you until I read that comment, now I find your rant lame.

They can't ship what they don't have, and they won't have a black model for 3 weeks, their is not much you or that rep can do about it.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Yeah, and it seems they already gave you enough concessions, worth over $100 for your patience, so why can't you be patient now??

4. Phillyfan1290 thread starter macrumors newbie

reason i cant be patient is cause like I stated before I use this for business. I have 5 ipad 1's and 2 ipad 2's each one nets me about 150 a day after expenses. If the one is not out there I still have to pay the rep something while we wait so that costs me 100 a day. so now im losing money instead of making it. Any business major here knows that is never good. Would you have me fire the rep since I dont have his equipment? I wouldn't do that.

Reason I dont think white would be preferable is because the ipad exchange hands alot and could get dirty quickly. I already read in other forums of white getting dirty easily.

The leather smart cover was for the wait and because i had a screen protector and back protector that are one time use so had to pay for new ones.

The keyboard was just the only thing that I thought might be good from the store.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

6. Phillyfan1290 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you notice it in a fully lite room, I think its bad. I was gonna sell all my ipad ones and get the 2's cause I think the duel core makes everything run smoother but ill wait till this issue is fixed.

7. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

If you lose $100/day without a unit, it would seem wise to have a backup/extra iPad available in case you have an issue with one of them.

Looks like some decent deals on eBay for iPad1s.

Then, when you get the warranty replacement, you're set...

8. Ponderous macrumors regular

I'm sorry but I agree. Sounds like they want above and beyond to give you things to make it right.

9. Phillyfan1290 thread starter macrumors newbie

while this is true, i had 2 extra ipad 1's before the new year and they were never even opened. So i sold them before the big price drop, I did have an extra ipad until I had to hire another rep. So i figured i would just buy ipad 2's since they are a better investment. But now i talked to the supervisor and they are gonna send me the white one and when a black one becomes available they will call me to swap.

For the record I just wanted an ipad that i could use i didnt care if they sent me back my old one. this atleast will due till black ipads come in stock.

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Any business major would also not be an early adopter of tech. What could the iPad2 do that the iPad couldn't for you?

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

He can now get paid twice as fast now due to its More Ram and Dual Core Processor :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

12. Phillyfan1290 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm since instead of buying old im buying new, as i said before i hired a new rep so why by an old machine? the other ipad 2 was for my top rep as it was a gift for being top for the month of January (our slowest month, thus this stimulated sales as they could keep it).

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you had purchased AppleCare, they would have cross-shipped you a new iPad, letting you use the old one until the replacement one arrived.

As for white, the white is behind the glass screen. Glass is glass. It's no more likely to get dirty just because the color under it is a different color.

Ask for your old iPad back to use until supply catches up to demand. Youre not going to lose sales over a backlight bleed, and you have a year left under warranty to have it fixed.

14. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Your main argument is that you're losing money waiting on an iPad 2. Yet you sold two iPad1s that would have been perfectly good for signing contracts and made the decision to buy brand new tech, which always carries the risk of having technical defects (in this case, the backlighting issue). At the time you bought/pre-ordered that iPad2, you could have bought iPad1s for $100 less. Which meant you would have made more money faster, and wouldn't be sitting around down an iPad.

There's a reason why most enterprises don't go out and upgrade Windows the day new version comes out (and its not because it's Windows :p ). You go with the equipment that is tried and tested and has all the bugs/defects ironed out already.

15. Phillyfan1290 thread starter macrumors newbie

I need the lost/theft/accidental insurance. Plus i get an amazing discount since im insuring so many with worthavegroup

Applecare is great if "you" will be handling the product not so much when others are and you don't know how they will treat them

16. badcrc32 macrumors regular

?

That is pretty Downy. They should have never had you ship your in to begin with they should have done the express shipment. I got boned by apple too, I said no way to send it in. I had them conference in a local store. There calling me when they have a black.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

AppleCare cross-ships replacements, which would have prevented this entire situation. For someone who can't be without an iPad for a day, 1/2 of one days income per iPad isn't a bad ROI for two years worth of that type of warranty service.

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

This is correct, but what I learned a few weeks ago when I had to send mine in, is that they only do the "advanced replacement" if you have purchased the AppleCare plan. So, if he would have paid the $79 for the extension he could have had them ship the new one and send in the old one when it arrived.

O.p. Old saying " if you need 3, you better get 4". if it is some thing that important don't sell off your spares. Why was backlight bleed so important that you had to get it serviced now? You have a full year to get it taken care of why not wait until the craziness dies down?

Bottom-line, this is no ones fault but yours for not having a spare of a critical business tool, something any business major would know!

19. princealyy, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

princealyy macrumors regular

I am sorry OP I have trouble even believing you have a business.

I am not trying to be an a hole but here is what I am thinking if you actually make $150 per day on the iPad you would have already replaced this iPad with a new gen 1 ... Also apple has more than taken care of their obligations to you with the free product offer and if you need to continue your business please feel free to take them up on the offer for the white iPad and keep business rolling I am sure someone at the business will take the white one happily.

I too am a part of a business and we deploy notebooks, cell phones, IP phones and other technology to our people and some of these assets are not income producing for us (I.e. Double duplication with the two types of phones) but we always have backup equipment .... ALWAYS we also are getting ready to give out iPads to our sales people in hopes they will use them to show off new items we will be offering soon. And guess what?? Not only will we have extra units but we will be ordering a few of the units gen 1 not because of light leak concerns or anything else, but simply because we don't need the faster speeds for what we are using but because we CAN'T WAIT. And we don't even know if this technology will make us any money.

So please do yourself a favor accept the white one... Or buy a gen 1 this way you will have a backup unit in case there are any other issues with the iPads. I can tell you from my experience we have broken many phones in our place and if you generate any form of income from a device you should maintain spare units.

I apologize to all I offend and welcome many thumbs up I may have coming :)

20. tl01 macrumors 65816

If the ipad 2 makes you so much money then why would you get it replaced when there is so little inventory over backlight bleed. Was the backlight bleeding affecting your revenue?

21. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

stop whining. I'm on my 3rd ipad, and no ones offered me anything free.

22. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Can't work cause of the iPad? Sorry but I find that hard to believe. Whatever.

23. princealyy macrumors regular

Agreed. He probably posted his thread thinking we would help him figure out a way to get more from apple and then when people were giving him grief he became a business owner. Good for him this is america all you need is to proclaim you are a business person and bam there you go.