Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
I can see how that (maybe) could be true outside of the US, but in the US? For example, I buy my iphones directly from Apple and have been for years.

It seems the only way to buy SIM-free, current model iPhone in the US is through Apple's website. Are there any other way to buy iPhone that's not associated with a carrier?

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
My wife's family are in China and the latest must-have phone is anything Huawei. People we know who had iPhones are replacing with Huawei.

A few years ago when I went it was Oppo. Xiaomi is looked down as a cheap phone poor people buy.

Who knows what will be popular a few years later.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
Wow love those simple in your face charts. Apple crushin it. Chinese people love all things high end. Apple taking the whole premium market is inevitable
[automerge]1596029040[/automerge]
The research suggests they're buying iPhone SEs, not iPhone 11 Pros.
Ya and...?

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
My wife's family are in China and the latest must-have phone is anything Huawei. People we know who had iPhones are replacing with Huawei.

A few years ago when I went it was Oppo. Xiaomi is looked down as a cheap phone poor people buy.

Who knows what will be popular a few years later.

A big reason is that their spectrum of products are very well tailored to the Chinese market. Its emphasis on large storage, big battery, great camera, fast charging, and many software features in EMUI reflect their knowledge of the Chinese market. Another important factor is the distribution and sales channels. Huawei has so many stores and sales partners all over China. You see so many Huawei stores even in small cities. Plus, Chinese people don't buy the baseless US government BS about security flaw.

• Disagree
Reactions: decypher44

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I can see how that (maybe) could be true outside of the US, but in the US? For example, I buy my iphones directly from Apple and have been for years.
Apple only has 270 stores in the US + their website. The vast majority of their phones are sold primarily through carriers in the US. Grain of salt and all, old market research data suggests 10% of iPhones are sold through their stores. Granted, their percentages have probably grown since 2017, but not to the extent of majority. The combination of brick and mortar carrier/3rd party retail locations, their associated websites, and the beast that shall not be named (Am z n)...

Anecdotally, I've been buying Apple products for more than a decade and never purchased from an Apple store or Apple online. Been in the stores to look, to test drive. Buying inevitably is less expensive from a 3rd party retailer like BB, Microcenter, B&H, etc. I imagine a lot of people do the same.

Reactions: uther and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple only has 270 stores in the US + their website. The vast majority of their phones are sold primarily through carriers in the US. Grain of salt and all, old market research data suggests 10% of iPhones are sold through their stores. Granted, their percentages have probably grown since 2017, but not to the extent of majority. The combination of brick and mortar carrier/3rd party retail locations, their associated websites, and the beast that shall not be named (Am z n)...

Anecdotally, I've been buying Apple products for more than a decade and never purchased from an Apple store or Apple online. Been in the stores to look, to test drive. Buying inevitably is less expensive from a 3rd party retailer like BB, Microcenter, B&H, etc. I imagine a lot of people do the same.
We have bought all of our apple products, ipads, apple tv, mac and iphones through either the website or an apple store. It may have been easier yesteryear to back into some of the numbers...but today with Apple providing sparser details, I'm postulating many of these guesstimates could be significantly skewed...as we have seen in the past.

Buying from a 3rd party retailer comes with a caveat of a line activation. If I don't want the line and want to buy outright the price is virtually the same...and one cannot get a sim free model.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Interesting the deterioration of oppo’s position after it tried moving upmarket.
(P.S. always take these companies figures with a large grain of salt).
Did you look at the other chart?
1596049128746.jpeg

If BBK owns Oppo, Vivo, OnePlus, RealMe care to discuss market share of Apple at 9%? BTW COVID 19 had no effect on manufacturing/sales in China Q2 2020, right? :p

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Again, another story that accepts at face value, takes as gospel, whatever data is reported! Come on, MR, you can do better than simply act as a PR shill for a marketing research company! ?
What do you expect from a Apple focused site? Yes unrealistic interpretations to marketplace data. But I do see the trend back to smaller phones as decreasing future sale of jeans ripped by stuffing too big smartphones in the back pocket. :D

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Td;dl It was cheaper this year.

Worth pointing out a few thing.

1. This is YoY, same time last year Apple did pretty poorly due to lots of reasons.

2. iPhone 11's official and unofficial price are lower than last year.

3. Along with sponsored Discount from Stores are unusually high this year.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
They're not the same thing.

It is a premium phone. It is a very good phone. But it is most definitely not a flagship model unless you're saying it is - objectively, not subjectively because you have small hands - better than an iPhone 11 Pro.

Apple has gotten to the point where yes, they can all be seen as premium flagships. Simply having blue bubbles is enough to convince people without caring about which model you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.