Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aliencowboy69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I have been given an apple watch 1st edition to try n see if I like them before I buy 1. It has been reset and removed from the cloud. When I try to pair with my iPhone it says the watch needs to be updated to the latest software and that my iPhone also need to be updated to the latest software, however my iPhone already is running the latest 13.5.1
When I try and pair them it takes me to the update software menu, Shows me the software is already up to date, then nothing. I can continue update which takes me back to the same menu or cancel pairing which removes the watch and have to do it all again.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I had a similar issue but I couldn’t even get to where it asked me to update the software. The solution for me was to start the pairing on an older phone. In my case the older I gone was running iOS 10.something. If you have an old phone laying around it can convince some e with one to let you use it, you can start there. The first thing that happens is it asks you to update the watch software. In my case, this took me to version 5.something. At that point, I was able to take the watch and begin pairing on my real phone. The pairing started and again updated the watch software, this time to version 6.something. Once that was done the watch paired fine with my phone.

Aliencowboy69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Well that was a waste of time. Got an iPhone running older iOS and tried to pair, got me to the same point where it had to update the iPhone in order to update the watch. I have updated the iPhone software and right back to square 1.... the watch will not do anything until it is updated, and can't b updated as the iPhone software is already up to date.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Aliencowboy69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Do you know what version of watchOS the Apple Watch is on?!

No I don't know which version it's running. It's basically bricked right now so can't even check as It literally does nothing apart from turn on and off.

I have managed to get another older iPhone (iPhone5) and tried to update through that, but I think the iPhone is just too old now, so that hasn't worked either.

Aliencowboy69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
So far I have tried to pair with iPhone 7 plus, iPhone 5 (too old), iPhone XR, and iPhone XS MAX, none of which has worked. They all say the same thing that in order to upgrade the watch software the iPhone software needs to b updated, then the iPhone software updates and does nothing with the watch.

Aliencowboy69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Well I've just contacted apple support there. I have to send the watch into them for service/repair which will cost up to £192.44.... don't think I'll be doing that ?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
So far I have tried to pair with iPhone 7 plus, iPhone 5 (too old), iPhone XR, and iPhone XS MAX, none of which has worked. They all say the same thing that in order to upgrade the watch software the iPhone software needs to b updated, then the iPhone software updates and does nothing with the watch.

Yeah basically you need to have the correct pair of iOS and watchOS version to either upgrade or pair for that matter. Random devices will not work.

Well I've just contacted apple support there. I have to send the watch into them for service/repair which will cost up to £192.44.... don't think I'll be doing that

Yep the 1st gen Watch is too old for that. If you really want to get an Apple Watch then just buy it and try out. You still have the return period. Dealing with that dinosaur of a watch is just waste of time imho.

EmmaLouWho

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2019
Alabama
The Apple Watch 1st generation will only update to OS 4.3.2.

Series 1 and newer will update to OS 6.

Last week I bought a 1st generation 42mm for $15.50. The watch was unlocked and paired fine with my iPhone 7plus running IOS 13.

Lubidubi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
Well I've just contacted apple support there. I have to send the watch into them for service/repair which will cost up to £192.44.... don't think I'll be doing that ?
Had an AW1 on watch os 2 which would only pair with an iphone 5 on ios 9 (had still one here) with ios 10 i got the same error like you. Talked to Apple support and they offered me a free software update to watch os 4. had to send it in and 2 weeks later i got it back on 4.3.2
All for free. Call them again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.