Apple Watch (1st Gen) issue with PowerBeat3 while listening music during workout

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by airly, Feb 22, 2017.

1. airly macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have experience some pretty annoying issues with the Apple Watch 1st Gen.
    Everytime I am listening to music using powerbeat 3 during workout (basically have Apple Music running, and Workout app running to keep track of my heartrate etc), the bluetooth connection with my powerbeat3 will drop out. It happens pretty much every 5 mins. (I have to stop my workout and reconnect) I have tested my powerbeat3 with my iPhone 7+ and have no connection issue at all. I am suspecting it has something to do with my Apple Watch (maybe it can't keep up with the bluetooth connection via having the Workout app and heart rate monitor running at 100%?).
    Any of the Apple Watch (Series 2) owner has similar issue with bluetooth headphone at all?

Thanks

2. Ixidor macrumors regular

Do you run with your iPhone? The Powerbeats 3 Bluetooth connection is solid and in my experience, very rarely gets cut off. It does however, sometimes get confused between pairing with the iPhone and the Apple Watch.

For instance, the connection is great when I run with the Apple Watch and leave the iPhone at home. Once I reach home and my iPhone is in range, the Powerbeats 3 automatically pairs with the phone instead, causing my Watch to pause music playback. Doesnt happen all the time but it's mildly annoying when it does.

3. airly thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't run with my iPhone, but I left the iPhone in the locker at the gym. Maybe it somehow still in range and the PowerBeats3 got confused. I will test it in the next few days. Thanks for the response.

4. airly thread starter macrumors newbie

The Bluetooth connection has no issue now once I turned off the Bluetooth on my iPhone. But experience intermittent music pause for no reason.

5. addictive macrumors regular

I wonder if it is a problem with your PowerBeats 3. I have some and my iPhone randomly experiences intermittent pauses happening when I listen to music or podcasts. I went to an Apple Store and they told me to speak with someone at their Genius Bar but I had to be somewhere else and couldn't wait the few hours needed to resolve the issue.

Do you think it could be a PowerBeats 3 problem?

6. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

You don't have to turn off Bluetooth on your phone. You need to ForceTouch the watch Music app and choose the Powerbeats3.

7. airly thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think PowerBeats 3 causing the problem tho, since I have no issue with it when it is paired with iPhone 7+
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2017 ---
    Totally understand I could pick PowerBeats 3 on my Watch, but it is not an option while you are running/training for obvious reason.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

For reference.

PB3, iPhone 7Plus, Apple Watch SS S2.

These work flawlessly for me and connect every time without even short drops.

When I shower I direct connect my watch to a UE Boom speaker and run songs off of the watch.

Try having the phone 'forget this device' in relation to the PB3 and repair it while the watch is off.

9. jags828 macrumors member

My watch used to do it with my wireless headphones too until I realized the headphones were switching back to the phone when in range. If you turn the bluetooth off on your phone when working out using the watch for music, you will not have the problem anymore.

10. supadupaplex macrumors newbie

I have the exact same issue with my Apple Watch (1st gen), iPhone 6s Plus and BeatsX.
    When I start a workout on my Apple Watch while listening to music via Apple Music on iPhone 6s Plus.
    Apple Music keeps randomly pausing the music. I have no idea how to fix it. Help?

11. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Maybe we're reaching the limit of S1 processor??? S1 having to do the workout thing AND at same time manage BT connections (with earphones and iPhone). And this is why turning OFF BT on iPhone fixes the problem?

My guess is S2-equipped Watch will have less issue or none. Hopefully.

12. airly thread starter macrumors newbie

The only workaround is to turn off the bluetooth on your phone/watch temporarily. :(
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    That's exactly what I want to find out. Is the issue to do with Apple Watch 1st Gen or PB3?
    I reckon the issue is with PB3, consistently try to switch back to the phone.