Apple Watch 2 (no not asking about predictions)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by wassup121, Mar 9, 2015.

1. wassup121 macrumors member

It's easy to spend a couple hundred $ on an iPhone, and if you're like me or many others, sell it and get the new version.

What happens with Apple Watch 2. Especially those with the Edition version spending $12,000. Just dropped $12,000 and in a year the watch is outdated. And maybe the battery will die within 5 years and cannot recharge!

When I am ready to spend $12,000 on a watch, I know it will be timeless, which is why it would be spent on an IWC or alike. That said, I think the Edition is beautiful...I think i will settle for the Black on Black Sport model.

my 2c. not that anyone asked. :)

2. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

If your IWC is timeless, you may want your money back! ;):p

Seriously, though, we don't know how often the Watch will be updated, if there will be a trade in program on the gold model, what resale value will be, etc. Granted, those who can afford it probably aren't worried much about it.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I thought all these questions were going to be answered today?

So apple still has not decided, or they will be giving more info out just before they go on sale?

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Right, but the Edition watch isn't for the first time Lux watch buyer. It's for the person who has everything and can afford anything.

I can spend $349 w/o guilt -- really no desire for SS or gold b/c I see the watch as a replaceable, engineered for obsolesce tool, not jewelry. If there is a 2nd iteration worth buying I'll cross that road when the time comes. I suspect Edition owners will too.

5. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I guess it won't be updated every year.

Maybe every two years.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If there is a trade-in program or the internals are indeed upgradable, Apple has no reason to announce it until they release the next version. Until then, it doesn't matter.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

They don't want people thinking about v2 on the eve of v1 being released. That sort of thinking leads to people holding off on purchasing.

8. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I disagree. It would put the prices into a better perspective. Currently, if I buy a $10,000 watch, I know it will work forever with regular care and maintenance, and if I choose, I can pass it down to my son. The :apple:Watch has a finite lifespan. Even if they offer battery replacements, it will most likely be a swapping of the entire watch, and will not be offered forever. I have to believe that well before the 10 year mark, these watches will be paperweights with no way to make them functional.

If, on the other hand, Apple were to commit to supporting the watch and keeping it functional for a minimum of 10 years, then it starts to make a little more sense. Though, in reality, 10 years is still too short of a lifespan for a watch in this price range in my opinion.

9. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I would have been happy if they atleast announced that the bands would be compatible for the next generations.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Most of my watches, Seiko Kinetic, Citizen Eco-Drive, have clasp link bracelets. I don't really like leather bands. However, the Watch version with a Link Bracelet is $1k. That band is $450 by itself. And goes up in the black version to $1,100. I would have thought the Milenese Loop would be more but it comes in at $700, $300 less.

Personally I am planning on a gen 2 or gen 3 in 1 to 2 years time to see where it goes, what apps come out, how much thinner it gets, etc. I don't mind replacing my iPhone every 2 years, but I don't want to spend $1k and find out the bands from gen 1 to gen 2 are not interchangeable, etc. and that I can't even get a new one and keep my $450 band.