Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A December rumor pointed towards a possible March 2016 event to unveil a next-generation Apple Watch, but information shared today by TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino suggests a redesigned second-generation Apple Watch will not be coming so early in the year. That conflicts with some recent rumors suggesting trial production on the Apple Watch 2 is set to begin soon.

Citing several sources with knowledge of Apple's plans, Panzarino says that while new design partnerships and accessories are a possibility for March, a second-generation Apple Watch is not expected. There is, however, a potential March event in the works, but it is not clear what would be launched at that time. New Macs and the rumored 4-inch iPhone 6c are possibilities.

applewatch-800x430.png
Several things that I've heard (from several sources) indicate to me that we won't see a new hardware model of the Apple Watch in March. Design partnerships, accessories, that kind of thing maybe but not a "Watch 2.0" with a bunch of new hardware features like a camera. I could be wrong, of course, but I've heard enough to put it out there.
To further back up his claims, Panzarino says supply chain checks have not indicated that production on a second-generation Apple Watch has begun and there's been no "major action" on the software development side that would point towards the possibility of a newly redesigned Apple Watch debuting in the next few months.
As with anything related to Apple hardware announcements, the tea leaves are hard to read and the companies plans can change (the advantage of never publicly announcing hardware). But as of now, March seems like it's a bit too early to count on Watch 2.0.
The Apple Watch, introduced in April of 2015, is a new product category for Apple so its upgrade cycle is difficult to determine. With the iPhone, Apple introduces updates on a yearly basis, but if no second-generation Apple Watch comes out in March, it is not clear when a new version will debut. As Panzarino says, an update alongside the iPhone 7 in September is a possibility, putting the Apple Watch on an 18-month upgrade cycle.

As further evidence that an Apple Watch 2 might not come until later in 2016, we have not seen any concrete rumors about features that might included in a second-generation device and there have been no schematics or part leaks that we might expect to see just a few months ahead of the launch of an updated device.

Update: Panzarino has updated his report to indicate he has heard new information suggesting an interim Apple Watch update could come at the March event but only include "a FaceTime camera and not much else." It would not be a full "Apple Watch 2.0."

Article Link: Apple Watch 2 Not Likely to See March Debut [Updated]

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I really saddens me that Apple thinks someone would buy a new watch every year. They've updated the Thunderbolt display with variants without calling it Thunderbolt display 2, 3, 4, etc. Why can't they do the same for the Apple Watch.
Whatcha talkin bout bruh? There has only been 1 release of the Thunderbolt Display, and it's never been updated... AND it's severely outdated without Thunderbolt 2 (TB 3 is coming out soon!) and no USB 3.0... And... the resolution needs a bump... badly!

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Well i guess that justify's my purchase just a bit more. I ended up getting a basically brand new AWS 42mm from BB when they were $100 off last week. They had a open box that literally looked like someone opened it and said wrong color and boxed it back up. Charger, or USB never removed from the box, or watch taken from the plastic. I ended up paying $256 for it from $399 originally.

PS: Anyone else out there that would actually want maybe say a 45mm version? I am a athletic muscular build. I am used to wearing larger Diving style watches. I think a 45mm version would be sweet. But just not sure enough that there is a LARGE market for that size.

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I really saddens me that Apple thinks someone would buy a new watch every year. They've updated the Thunderbolt display with variants without calling it Thunderbolt display 2, 3, 4, etc. Why can't they do the same for the Apple Watch.
It really saddens me that someone would think that Apple releasing yearly updates to products means that Apple thinks people would buy a new version of any product every year.

Does it also sadden you that Apple has released a new iPhone every year, a new (9.7") iPad almost every year, a new MBP almost every year?

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Without an Apple Watch 2 there will be NO March/April event!

What are they gonna introduce? An new 4" iPhone with outdated internals (rumors say A8), and a "catch up" iPad Air 3. Even if they have incredible MacBook Pro updates it won't save the event.

stanhope

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
I am very pleased with my Apple watch. There are some improvements that I would like to see however. Those include the ability to pair more than one watch with a singular iPhone, better wifi connectivity, faster loading of the apps, more independence from the phone, and general software improvements. I would be disappointed if the product cycle were less than one year. I would be moved to buy another Apple watch if they released a tungsten version. Tungsten makes all the sense in the world...it is not nearly as prone to scratching, the metal color is stunning, and it is an "off the beaten path" material which would be consistent with Apple's brand imaging.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Considering apple has now seeded two betas of iOS (9.3 and 9.4), usually each step indicates a new product, or at least a big new feature, as apple develops software and hardware together, so, this makes sense. Otherwise, they would have seeded 9.2.1 instead, if it was just for bug fixes and features. (9.2 was released with iPad Pro).

9.3 = new apple watch?
9.4 = new 4" iPhone? 5e? 6c?

Has no one (developers) seen any new device codes in the code of these betas?
This logic would be flawed though. Assuming that the 4 inch iPhone and the new Apple Watch were both announced at the same march keynote, how big would the release date gap between them have to be to have two new .x releases?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
This logic would be flawed though. Assuming that the 4 inch iPhone and the new Apple Watch were both announced at the same march keynote, how big would the release date gap between them have to be to have two new .x releases?
I edited my post and deleted it.

(edit, lol) but, still wondering what's up with apple releasing 9.3 and 9.4 betas...two things in the works, but what?

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
There is a good chance that this is indeed what they would do, and then have a full refresh every few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.