Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
I've had my Apple Watch 38mm Sport since the 24th. I figured I'd offer some thoughts after wearing it for 2 weeks now.

1. Battery life has been well above expectations. I charge it every night but it has never dropped below 65%. I haven't turned anything off other than the stand up reminders.

2. Many of the third party apps are borderline useless. Some seem rushed to have something available for launch. Others are just too slow to be useful. One app I frequently use on my iPhone that would be perfect for the watch (the Score) crashes nearly every time I try to open it. Another (Soundhound) works, but opens on the phone and has to be manually closed from the phone. There are exceptions that work quite well, but they are the exception rather than the norm for me so far.

3. I use glances all the time, but barely use apps. This is a great feature, though few third party glances update fast enough to work.

4. Siri is excellent. It almost never messes up what I'm trying to say or misses a command. It does sometimes direct me to handoff when it shouldn't need to though.

5. Apple Maps on the watch is brilliant. Far more useful for walking navigation than using the iPhone.

6. The digital crown is a great feature and navigation around the OS was quick and easy to learn.

7. I'm doing nearly all of my texting on the watch now. I also barely touch Apple Maps, MLB at Bat, Passbook, or the weather apps on the phone.

8. Apple Pay makes much more sense on the watch.

9. Force Touch is a cool feature, but I'm still not sure when I should use it in some apps. Switching between watch faces is quick and easy though.

10. The taptic engine is awesome. I found it too subtle at first, coming from a Pebble. Now I really appreciate it though and never miss a notification.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
Great review, I agree with your points.

The only thing I would add, having also had it since the 24th, is that I find my life much more quiet! No beeps of notifications from the phone, just the nice subtle tap on the watch. The only time my devices make noise now is when I have an incoming call, or if I'm not wearing the watch. I find this a wonderful improvement!

gteska

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Greenville, SC

The only thing I would add, having also had it since the 24th, is that I find my life much more quiet! No beeps of notifications from the phone, just the nice subtle tap on the watch. The only time my devices make noise now is when I have an incoming call, or if I'm not wearing the watch. I find this a wonderful improvement!

I couldn't agree with this more. The Apple Watch is such a positive life change for me. :D

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015

I definitely agree with this. The only sounds I have coming out of my phone are my alarms in the morning.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I think your review is pretty spot on with how I feel and the review I posted earlier from next web.

The only glances I have enabled are the battery, heart rate and music. The others either take too long to refresh or arent important to me.

I spent 90% of my time on the watch face and hardly use apps.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Two third party glances that I've had good success with are MLB at Bat and Dark Sky. Dark Sky I've actually replaced the stock weather glance with because I like it much better.

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Two third party glances that I've had good success with are MLB at Bat and Dark Sky. Dark Sky I've actually replaced the stock weather glance with because I like it much better.

Definitely. The Dark Sky glance is fantastic.

For me, I find the Transit glance to work pretty well, though it often has the wrong "direction" set for a nearby route, but the app itself loads pretty fast when tapping on the glance. It would be nice to set some options for the glance to show more relevant route information.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I've had my Apple Watch 38mm Sport since the 24th. I figured I'd offer some thoughts after wearing it for 2 weeks now.

1. Battery life has been well above expectations. I charge it every night but it has never dropped below 65%. I haven't turned anything off other than the stand up reminders.

2. Many of the third party apps are borderline useless. Some seem rushed to have something available for launch. Others are just too slow to be useful. One app I frequently use on my iPhone that would be perfect for the watch (the Score) crashes nearly every time I try to open it. Another (Soundhound) works, but opens on the phone and has to be manually closed from the phone. There are exceptions that work quite well, but they are the exception rather than the norm for me so far.

3. I use glances all the time, but barely use apps. This is a great feature, though few third party glances update fast enough to work.

4. Siri is excellent. It almost never messes up what I'm trying to say or misses a command. It does sometimes direct me to handoff when it shouldn't need to though.

5. Apple Maps on the watch is brilliant. Far more useful for walking navigation than using the iPhone.

6. The digital crown is a great feature and navigation around the OS was quick and easy to learn.

7. I'm doing nearly all of my texting on the watch now. I also barely touch Apple Maps, MLB at Bat, Passbook, or the weather apps on the phone.

9. Force Touch is a cool feature, but I'm still not sure when I should use it in some apps. Switching between watch faces is quick and easy though.

10. The taptic engine is awesome. I found it too subtle at first, coming from a Pebble. Now I really appreciate it though and never miss a notification.

I bolded #6 b.c I could not agree more about it being easy to learn/use. I remember early reviews mentioning the UI being odd and not very intuitive. What were they smoking? After 5-10 minutes you pretty much can figure out the entire UI/OS.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
For me, the taptic engine works great when I'm sitting still. However, if I'm walking around, I find that I will miss an occasional notification. Anyone have this problem?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
What I was told and I don't know exactly is that 3rd party apps don't have access to the processor yet, so they are interacting with the app on the phone and getting data whereas Apple apps are using the onboard processor. This would explain why the 3rd party apps are so slow and nearly unusable.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID

Agree with ever single point here, especially the Apple Pay one, it just feels more natural than the phone and more subtle in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.