Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martymar112

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
is there going to be an Apple Watch two this year? A new model? Or just software? Thanks

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
It would be weird if Apple suddenly switched to an 18 month cycle for a product. My bet is for March 2017, so it doesn't steal the iPhones spotlight in the fall. Apple doesn't really release new products close to the winter months anymore, and late summer will be the Macs spotlight.

BrodieApple

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
It would be weird if Apple suddenly switched to an 18 month cycle for a product. My bet is for March 2017, so it doesn't steal the iPhones spotlight in the fall. Apple doesn't really release new products close to the winter months anymore, and late summer will be the Macs spotlight.
It will likely be announced in September though

Simche

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
Europe
Speculation mode:

Well, if you take a closer look at the slogan-text on watchOS 3, saying "Feels like a whole new watch" (see link down below) it might be unlikely that they'll release a new watch this year. Maybe a new collection in tandem with watchOS 3 public release this fall but not more.

http://www.apple.com/watchos-preview/

watchOS 3 seems to bring a whole new life to the current watch, making it surprisingly snap and per-se is proven if you take a look at many reviews on Youtube (very positive review wince beta 1 of watchOS3)

Reactions: dschulian

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
I said it's likely maybe you should read it better.

Why is that likely? They've just removed one of the biggest reasons people were looking forward to a next generation Apple Watch.
[doublepost=1468546349][/doublepost]
new watch this fall. rumors have always been pointing towards it.

Before that, they pointed to June. And before that, they pointed to March. ;)

Reactions: ladytonya

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Why is that likely? They've just removed one of the biggest reasons people were looking forward to a next generation Apple Watch.
[doublepost=1468546349][/doublepost]

Before that, they pointed to June. And before that, they pointed to March. ;)
and they've pointed to fall 2016 for longer than anything else and its holding.

Reactions: martymar112

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
We've had part leaks indicating an iPhone 7 release this year. So far there have been no leaks regarding new hardware on a watch. This should pretty much tell you the watch isn't getting an upgrade this year.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Its weird but in the past 2 or 3 months my parents, siblings, wife and friends have all suddenly decided to buy an Apple Watch. Before this I literally didn't know anyone with one! It can't be coincidence and Im sure I can't be the only one in this situation. Maybe the advertising is working? Maybe its starting to make ground? Perhaps for this reason there won't be new hardware until next year? Who knows!

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Speculation mode:

Well, if you take a closer look at the slogan-text on watchOS 3, saying "Feels like a whole new watch" (see link down below) it might be unlikely that they'll release a new watch this year. Maybe a new collection in tandem with watchOS 3 public release this fall but not more.

http://www.apple.com/watchos-preview/

watchOS 3 seems to bring a whole new life to the current watch, making it surprisingly snap and per-se is proven if you take a look at many reviews on Youtube (very positive review wince beta 1 of watchOS3)

Problem is that while software will greatly improve user experience, it can never solve make up for missing hardware. Hardware that is GPS. Only then, will it truly be a whole new watch.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
Its weird but in the past 2 or 3 months my parents, siblings, wife and friends have all suddenly decided to buy an Apple Watch.

I bought my wife an AW that she is now thrilled about, where before she was ambivalent about it.

Reactions: MrJM

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I suppose with iPhones you can guarantee when the new model is due. Most other Apple products have a less predictable update schedule, especially the Apple Watch.

I don't think I would buy one now though. I've had mine more than a year now so I would think a new one can't be that far away.
[doublepost=1468788646][/doublepost]
One can only dream that apple might finally care about their Macs again... My guess is that a AW update is more likely than a Mac update.

To be honest I prefer the older macs that were easy to upgrade. I don't fancy buying a new macbookpro and not being able to upgrade it, and being stuck with a small hard 'disk'.

I suppose it's a tribute to the design of macs that I am more than happy with m 2011 mbp.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Wouldn't mind them releasing a 46mm Apple Watch this fall. I'm a big guy and the 42mm looks small on my wrist. Plus big watches are a thing now, and even a 46mm would be smaller than many of them. They could even call it the Apple Watch Pro!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Please stop the arguing, a number of posts were removed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.