Apple Watch 3 and music streaming

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bbates123, Sep 13, 2017.

1. bbates123 macrumors 6502

One of the things that most intrigues me about the AW3 LTE version is the ability to stream music, especially if I'm going for a run. I'm assuming that will be an Apple Music only thing and not Spotify? And how does one select what music to listen to...do you pick a playlist on your iPhone?

2. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

Same for me with regard to intrigue. I would assume it's the same library as on the phone. Navigation will be highly dependent on Siri.

3. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

also curious since they keep advertising "stream over 40 million songs directly on your watch" etc how will the data work..won't this eat everyones data pretty quickly?

4. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

Streaming music doesn't use too much. They are basically saying you will have access to Apple Music. I have unlimited data (ATT).

5. ericg301 macrumors 65816

it'll eat data the same way it does on your phone.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just test it out on your phone now, you'll get a sense of how quickly it chews through data. Btw, I turned off cellular streaming on my iPhone because of this. I was bumping up against my data limit.

7. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

EE in the UK kindly gave every person on a contract FREE Apple Music for 6 months with ZERO data usage when streaming.

Hopefully it will still be usable on the watch over cellular!

8. MarcMller macrumors regular

can i just bring my wireless beats solo3 and my watch? all the pictures are of the apple wireless headphones but technically my beats are also apple and bluetooth sooo.. will they just connect to the watch?

9. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Any Bluetooth headphone will do.

Basically you will have all of Apple Music on your wrist. All of it.. like in iPhone, like in iPad, like in Apple TV, like in iTunes on your Mac .. all of it.

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Now that T-Mobile is screwing their customers by charging $10 a month and throttling the Apple Watch to a maximum of 512k, we’ll have to see just how well we can stream music and use other background apps at the same time.

Why T-Mobile, why? It seems like every time we move 3 feet forward, we slide 2 feet back.

11. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

"Throttling AW to a maximum of 512k."

I don't use T-Mobile. But what does this statement even mean. They are capping Apple Watch data use to 512k? Well, I guess you can enjoy 30 seconds of one song...

12. matrix07, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

He meant speed, not amount of data.

Btw, it's unlimited 4G now.

13. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Ah, thanks. Units.

Yeah, just saw the other post. I don't use T-mobile but I do admire their CEO. T-Mobile is super quick to respond and seems to be very forward-thinking.

14. satchmo macrumors 68020

I'm curious if streaming music to your watch is a game changer.

I'm waiting on delivery of a Series 2 watch.
    Is the current Apple watch sync to playlist a nuisance or tedious task?

15. 358547, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  16. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

It’s nothing too tedious. I picked my largest playlist and when I charged my watch, it synced the playlist. I think I have about 6 hours of music with room to grow.

From Apple’s mention that streaming will be 40mm songs, I assume it will only work with Apple Music and not Spotify but I hope not for those that use Spotify.

17. Craiguyver macrumors member

Craiguyver

512 kbps. That's about the speed of 3G, more or less.

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

19. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I stream radio on my phone about 6-8 hours at least 5 days a week. Plus other browsing and such I only use about 4gb a month. I don't think streaming apple music a few times a week while on a run will make a big difference.

20. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

You guys should also keep in mind that if you're streaming, it'll use a LOT more battery than if you have the playlists already downloaded on the watch. Better to just rotate out your playlists on a regular basis when at home over wifi.

(you're also using the GPS, barometer and heart sensor when out on a run...might want to conserve the battery all you can) :)

21. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

It doesn't matter. Apple Music will cache songs you played so you just actually stream it once (in the scenario you're talking: playing the same playlist, since rotating saved playlist on daily basis would be tiresome.)

22. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I hope AW let's developers add any app they want to the watch. I use TuneIn, Amazon, iHeart and multiple niche streaming apps. I have never wanted to use Apple Music and doubt I ever will. I already have SO many reasons I want to go back to Android. If Apple puts restrictions on AW streaming apps, at a certain point they'll drive me away again.

23. Sword86 macrumors regular

Exactly my concern. I play my music library by BT at the gym with my phone nearby. If I were to spring for the S3 with GPS and LTE any music not in the watch's memory I'd have to suck data to get, so I'd be right back to BT from my phone in range of the AW.
    I bought an S2 SS 42mm with the Milanese Loop band today and I am running through my head all the reasons why I might want LTE and get an S3. Faster? More memory? I saved over $200 today and got one of the last ones remaining n my town. Not sure if I would want to return it after about 6 hours with it. S

24. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

This isn't yet known if this will be the behavior on AW. Hopefully it will.

Better yet, you should be able to explicitly tell AW to download and retain playlists. Given that the AW LTE connection will only work in your home country, is say this is essential.

Oh: and hopefully more than a single playlist will be support, unlike now when you can only have a single synced playlist.

25. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

No hope required. watchOS 4 will support multiple playlists.
    https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/watchos-4/