Apple Watch 3 crack on screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tbenoit, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Tbenoit macrumors newbie

Tbenoit

I have a watch that has a crack on it, which has disabled the watch. I had a cover on it and cannot imagine what happened. I’ve only had it since Thanksgiving. Had series 1, no problems. Is it possible that it is a defect on the series 3? Anyone else with this issue. It is a straight line crack, obviously not a shatter.

2. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

IF it does not show any signs of impact and is a single straight line break, it is very possible that Apple will replace it with a refurb.

Pictures would be good.

4. waw74 macrumors 68040

if you look at the whole length of the crack, you might see a wide spot where it hit something. You might need to take a flashlight from ALL angles to see it.
    When you say cover, what do you mean... screen protector film, or rubber bumper

I had this happen to my S0, I did hit it on something, cracked right across the top edge, where it rounds down, but there was an obvious point that it hit, The watch still worked though.

If you've got AppleCare, you can get a replacement for $69
    without, it's $229 - $329 depending on the version.

The fastest way to do this is to call,
    let them place a hold for the full watch value on a credit card.
    They'll ship a replacement,
    once you get the replacement, return the broken watch within a certain time.
    once they get the broken watch, they'll release the hold.

If you don't have a credit card that you can use, it will take longer, as they have to ship you a box, and then you have to ship the watch back, before they send the new one.
    Not sure if you can use a debit card, as the authorization might place a hold on your account.

you can make a genius appointment, but they normally don't have replacements in the store, so you'll probably have to do the mail replacement anyway.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Well, let’s break this down. Cracks have to be caused usually by some type of impact, and even if you had a ‘protective cover’, that doesn’t stop the watch from cracking the display if you hit it on the [right angle and how hard]. I imagine that’s probably what happened in your scenario.

6. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

7. BigMacLover macrumors newbie

Upload a picture. I want to see your crack.

8. Tbenoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Tbenoit

Apple 3.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2019 ---
    Yes, it was a screen protector film. I had the series 1 for years, no protection, no problems. This one about six months, have screen protector and crack. I have already replaced it. Just was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I am not a young person, so I am not careless. Thank you for your reply, I will look closer at the watch to see if there is anything obvious.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2019 ---

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Apple just might replace as there is not sign of impact!

Can not hurt to try

10. Relentless Power, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s a very fine hairline crack, but it may not be related to impact damage. I would let Apple inspect it and see what they have to say. The worst case they can tell you is ‘no.’ That crack almost looks like it was applied from pressure versus actually hitting it on something.

11. BigMacLover macrumors newbie

Have you ever left it in a car with the windows closed on a hot day? I once left a mechanical watch in a car under the seat on a hot day. I thought it would be OK since it wouldn't get sunlight shining on it. The watch crystal popped off. I could see a hot environment causing a crack.

Is it possible someone not wearing shoes stepped on it? Or maybe sat on it?

I don't know how old you are but if you have little brothers or sisters living with you, I would cast an eye of suspicion on them. :) Regardless, it seems like it would be worth seeing if Apple will replace it since obviously it wasn't dropped.

Thanks for uploading the picture!