Apple Watch 3 SS vs Apple watch 4 Space Grey Alu

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JSENNY25, Oct 19, 2018.

1. JSENNY25 macrumors member

JSENNY25

Hi Folks!

So here is my dilemma... and I understand this is absolutely a first world problem, but I would love some perspective.

I have an Apple Watch 3 SS that Apple GENEROUSLY replaced my day one S0 SS last November. Was absolutely blown away. No additional cost what so ever.

Always had SS, like the durability of the screen, vary rarely use cellular as anything other than a gimmick, normally wear a sport band or sport loop, rarely dress up the band but I do have the link bracelet, Milanese loop, and saddle brown strap and love it when it does look fancy.

I checked out the Series 4 and that was a mistake. It screams with speed. The screen is amazing. It is thinner and improved in every way. I would say it is becoming a more mature product. I think I want one, but don't need one. I don't think i dress up enough anymore and I have a few nice watches that are great for events and when I want to look my best. But I also think in 2018, very few people care anymore.

If I was to upgrade, I think I'd go for the SG aluminum Nike watch. I do not think I need the most expensive watch anymore especially with the possibility of the AW still growing and this becoming more of a routine purchase. Maybe if I thought the growth was slowing I would pay for the SS.

Last thing...trade in the SS to apple for 225? Essentially I have only ever paid for the series 0, so this is like found money, right?

That could make a S4 $205 + tax. That is enticing.

Is it worth it? Should I trade in a superior build (SS) for a superior screen/processor/experience (SG)?

I know. It is silly to have these types of issues.

Also fighting between the Xs vs Xs Max. Have the Xs, still in the window to swap for a max, which I tried out for a few days (friend and I swapped) and loved the screen and battery, hated the weight, and was not thrilled about the one handed difficulties.

Attached Files:

2. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

I've come to the conclusion that if you're keeping it 2+ years. Just spend the extra dough and get the SS Series 4. I'm waiting on my SS to be delivered and I'll return the Aluminum.

3. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

This was my calculation as well. I went with aluminum because I would rather upgrade more regularly (until the Watch matures and the pace slows down). Resale/trade-in value between SS and Aluminum watches of the same series is similar, so the additional cost for stainless won't be recouped when you upgrade.

4. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

There's also the fact that the Aluminum will retain more of it's resale value (percentage wise) than the SS. I went the S4SS route, wore it a week, and decided that it wasn't THAT much "better" than my S3SS, so I returned it. Others may feel differently, but for me, the amortized cost of the S4 over 2 years was just too much money a month for so little difference. I was constantly afraid of dinging, or otherwise marking up the aluminum watch, and it was hard to find a decent screen protector. Of course, as with all things, your mileage, and thought processes may vary differently than mine. :)

5. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

If you plan to upgrade every year, get the aluminum. If you have no need for LTE, consider the aluminum.

If you plan to hold onto the watch more than two years, and/or you have a need for LTE, get the SS.

I've found something compelling with each year's upgrade, and I don't even like the AW all that much...

6. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

JSENNY25

Did you return and keep the S3SS or return the S4SS for the aluminum?

7. newellj macrumors 604

I totally agree. I thought I'd keep my S3 for 2+ years. Well, the S4 was by no means compelling, but it was persuasive enough for me to do it after only one year. My guess is that, unlike phones, we are at a point in the development cycle where the Watch will probably be a very attractive annual upgrade - at least for me - for a few more years.

I had a S4 stainless and I came to exactly the same decision and returned it for a Nike aluminum. I just couldn't justify essentially paying $200 extra (due to the virtually identical resale and trade-in prices for SS and aluminum versions) to own the beautiful SS Watch for twelve months.

8. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

I bought the aluminum outright when I was too impatient for the S4SBSS to be available, but as soon as it was, I returned the Aluminum one for the SBSS Series 4. Nice watch, no doubt, and if I had anything earlier than the S3, I probably would have kept it, but for me, the difference wasn't that great.

9. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

IMHO, worth it. (I just went from an S3 to an S4)