Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Well, clutch my pearls! Another with the same dilemma as I! LOL Yes, I keep asking myself "Which one am I going to sell?", but never can come to part with either. I get a monthly challenge for the AW, and the OCD kicks in, and I HAVE to complete that, but then, I look at the Garmin, and I'm a couple hundred "intensity minutes" from completing that for the week...... sooooo..... *sigh*
I like the functionality of the AW, but don't find it particularly attractive to wear. And in the Bay Area it seems like *everyone* wears one, so there's that.

The F5+ (Titanium) is great for workouts and looks spectacular, but not being able to respond to notifications is frustrating. And no Garmin I've used ever maintains a reliable connection with the phone. But at least you get custom watch faces!

Reactions: PaladinGuy

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
To confirm, the watch was not purchased in September. I merely placed it in a drawer, in September.

Why?

Because I was using a Samsung S9+...

Ahh okay - but the Series 4 watch was released in September so must have been brand new?

Well back on topic, I had my mechanical watch on yesterday and Monday. Damn just a single day and I really missed the features to be honest. Even though I love the look and feel of a mechanical

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ahh okay - but the Series 4 watch was released in September so must have been brand new?

Well back on topic, I had my mechanical watch on yesterday and Monday. Damn just a single day and I really missed the features to be honest. Even though I love the look and feel of a mechanical

As of late, I can admit, I have not been wearing my Apple Watch. It’s actually been transitioning more into my mechanical watches, and adding to that collection in addition. Respectively, as much as I like the Apple Watch, it’s actually provoked me even more to take appreciation for mechanical watches alike, but becomes an expensive habit at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: xDKP

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I like the functionality of the AW, but don't find it particularly attractive to wear. And in the Bay Area it seems like *everyone* wears one, so there's that.

The F5+ (Titanium) is great for workouts and looks spectacular, but not being able to respond to notifications is frustrating. And no Garmin I've used ever maintains a reliable connection with the phone. But at least you get custom watch faces!

Today, I decided to do a little test. I usually wear a Polar OH1 with the Fenix, even for my "Mall Walks", because several times I've noticed totally off heart rates on the fenix. Well, today, I strapped on the Apple Watch on my right wrist, set the orientation in the watch app to reflect that, and the fenix on my left wrist. Went for a short (1 mile or so) walk around one of the malls around here, and got interesting results. The AW shows a smoother heart rate graph than the fenix, (to be fair, I used the fenix with the internal HRM). The mileage was pretty close, considering the Fenix was using a calibrated footpod for distance, then I uploaded both into Garmin connect so I could compare. Judge for yourself.

Screenshot 2019-03-07 14.25.04.png

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Today, I decided to do a little test. I usually wear a Polar OH1 with the Fenix, even for my "Mall Walks", because several times I've noticed totally off heart rates on the fenix. Well, today, I strapped on the Apple Watch on my right wrist, set the orientation in the watch app to reflect that, and the fenix on my left wrist. Went for a short (1 mile or so) walk around one of the malls around here, and got interesting results. The AW shows a smoother heart rate graph than the fenix, (to be fair, I used the fenix with the internal HRM). The mileage was pretty close, considering the Fenix was using a calibrated footpod for distance, then I uploaded both into Garmin connect so I could compare. Judge for yourself.

View attachment 825243

It’s too bad we’re vastly in the minority. I’d love to see Apple beef up the data for the Apple Watch. It could do so much more.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
As of late, I can admit, I have not been wearing my Apple Watch. It’s actually been transitioning more into my mechanical watches, and adding to that collection in addition. Respectively, as much as I like the Apple Watch, it’s actually provoked me even more to take appreciation for mechanical watches alike, but becomes an expensive habit at the same time.

Understand what you’re feeling here. There is just something about the classic mechanical that has vibes no digital device can match. A lot of what the Apple Watch brings to the table has come to stay though. The immense information at the flick of a wrist is pretty amazing and the days without wearing it makes me realise how much of the stuff I take for grated now

Reactions: 44267547

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I am a watch wearer and have not missed my nice stainless Seiko. Wearing the Seiko instead of the Apple Watch is like not wearing a watch at all. The Apple Watch has that much I now rely on (incoming calls, timer, schedule notifications, weather, etc)

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I am a watch wearer and have not missed my nice stainless Seiko. Wearing the Seiko instead of the Apple Watch is like not wearing a watch at all. The Apple Watch has that much I now rely on (incoming calls, timer, schedule notifications, weather, etc)

The day I went back to my Apple Watch, I instantly used timer as well etc. The Siri-timer is an amazing function when I’m cooking and need some quick timing for pasta, rice etc

Reactions: harriska2

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
im definitely doing something wrong here... the watch just sit on my wrist from 6-21.00 and rarely look at it. im still using my iphone as much as before the watch... i probably wouldnt notice it before excercising and starting the app that i left the watch on the desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.