apple watch 4 display not turning on & waking up sometimes

sruf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Hi there,

i use the apple watch 4 since almost a year and now experience the problem that when tapping on the display OR using the scroll wheel to turn on the display nothing happens sometimes.

So most of the time the display wakes up when i tap on it or use the scroll wheel but 2 times out of 10 nothing happens or just takes 2, 3 seconds to wake up which is not really responsive from my point of few.

I have deleted all unneeded apps & wachfaces (i have only 2 watchfaces now), rebooted the apple watch and also did a factory reset (without restoring via itunes, instead i setup everything again manually).

So since i ran out of luck i wondered whether other apple watch 4 owners experienced the same issue or is it just on my apple watch 4?

I am running the latest Apple Watch OS 6 beta 9

Thanks for answering.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hi there,

i use the apple watch 4 since almost a year and now experience the problem that when tapping on the display OR using the scroll wheel to turn on the display nothing happens sometimes.

So most of the time the display wakes up when i tap on it or use the scroll wheel but 2 times out of 10 nothing happens or just takes 2, 3 seconds to wake up which is not really responsive from my point of few.

I have deleted all unneeded apps & wachfaces (i have only 2 watchfaces now), rebooted the apple watch and also did a factory reset (without restoring via itunes, instead i setup everything again manually).

So since i ran out of luck i wondered whether other apple watch 4 owners experienced the same issue or is it just on my apple watch 4?

Thanks for answering.
My wife and I have experienced the same issue with our watches (series 3 for her, series 4 for me) since updating to watchOS 6. When set for tap to wake, sometimes the screen seems unresponsive and multiple taps are required to wake. I changed my setting to raise to wake and that seems to work well, however, the battery drains more quickly.

Reactions: EdMan and sruf

Johnhimm

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for answering.
I have seen this on my series 4. Especially at night in Theater Mode. I have to press the digital 2 or 3 times for it to wake up.

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
>>So most of the time the display wakes up when i tap on it or use the scroll wheel but 2 times out of 10 nothing happens or just takes 2, 3 seconds to wake up which is not really responsive from my point of few.<<

I have this tap to wake problem with Series 4 and 5. Mostly with Theatre Mode. 6.01 didn't fix this. Never had this problem with Watch OS5.

sruf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
My wife and I have experienced the same issue with our watches (series 3 for her, series 4 for me) since updating to watchOS 6. When set for tap to wake, sometimes the screen seems unresponsive and multiple taps are required to wake. I changed my setting to raise to wake and that seems to work well, however, the battery drains more quickly.

Thank you for confirming, i was already getting nuts because i couldn't find other threads confirming this issue.

I also think this problem is linked to watch os 6.0 itself and does not have to do anything with the apps installed (in my case: only fantastical & autosleep) - hopefully apple will fix this with an upcoming update.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2015
England
Same problem here for me. Take few taps wake up screen. Same problem happen some of my friends too. Update 6.0.1 seem reduce how often need extra taps but still happen so not full fix yet. watchOS 5 work perfect each time. watchOS 6 need 2-4 taps wake up. watchOS 6.0.1 sometime works and sometimes need 2-4 taps.

big samm

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2008
Same problem here on my S4 LTE.
I have to press the crown 3 times for the watch to actually wake up... Each time im worried asking myself is the battery dead already?
Nope just a buggy os.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I just had the problem a few minutes ago on my S5. I believe it's happened with my S4 as well.

wvayens

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
Same problem here. I have raise to wake turned off to extend battery life and many times, on both my Watch 3 and Watch 4 it takes multiple taps to get the screen to wake.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
Yes this!! So glad to see I’m not alone and not going nuts (well not regarding this anyways!!) .. not sure what to do about it? Is there a ‘report a problem’ place to log this?
Unfortunately, I’m on the most up to date software so it’s not fixed yet.
really glad it’s not just me though! Thanks all!

Reactions: Tasa4734

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
just wanted to chime in here as well with the same issue.

currently AW4 running watchOS 6.0.

definitely a lag when trying to wake it from tap. it's not that it takes additional taps, which we'd tend to do if it doesn't wake up right away; it's that it lags (tap it once then wait longer than usual and it eventually wakes). never had this prior to the 6.0 update.

will update to 6.0.1 tonight and keep track if it resolves or not

Reactions: Tasa4734

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
Ok .. just been in touch with Apple support .. she said not a known problem yet. She suggested I put my phone off and my watch off for three minutes, for now, it’s worked! Time will tell!! Full off not just screen off .. press on/off and volume button on phone and wait for the Apple to show ... press button on watch (not Digital Crown) and hold then choose the ‘off’option.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
Ok .. just been in touch with Apple support .. she said not a known problem yet. She suggested I put my phone off and my watch off for three minutes, for now, it’s worked! Time will tell!! Full off not just screen off .. press on/off and volume button on phone and wait for the Apple to show ... press button on watch (not Digital Crown) and hold then choose the ‘off’option.
Scrap that .. five minutes later it’s not responding again!! Back to support I go!!!

Mari Mar

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2019
Same problem here for me with S5 LTE and watchOS 6.0.1. Sometimes need 2-3 taps wake up. Hopefully it is another software failure just like the battery

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
Same here. Sometimes (after a tap) it takes the screen 2-3 seconds to wake up. Happened after the OS6 update. Now running 6.0.1 and "it's" still here. Och well, Apple i guess...

Shihan

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
Spain
Same here (Spain): me and other people. I realized that when the watch is not on the wrist (on a table), the issue vanishes. So, it seems to be "something" related to watch sensors that alters the screen reading proccess...

SML404

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
having the same issue on AW4 (non cellular) since upgrading to 6. Did not get better with 6.0.1. 😕

Tasa4734

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
PacNW
Well, it was great for a day and now the problem is back.
Aside from the basic annoyance of having to wait, this is a serious health issue for me. I replaced my S2 watch with my current S4 because I needed the heart ECG support after having a stroke last year. Twice since then it’s alerted me to the need to get to an ER. So until now it’s been a substantial part of my heart monitoring, but now not so much! Will be contacting Apple today or tomorrow when I can squeeze it into my schedule. In the meantime, I urge all who are experiencing this problem to also contact Apple so that it becomes a “known problem!”

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Aside from the basic annoyance of having to wait, this is a serious health issue for me. I replaced my S2 watch with my current S4 because I needed the heart ECG support after having a stroke last year. Twice since then it’s alerted me to the need to get to an ER. So until now it’s been a substantial part of my heart monitoring, but now not so much! Will be contacting Apple today or tomorrow when I can squeeze it into my schedule. In the meantime, I urge all who are experiencing this problem to also contact Apple so that it becomes a “known problem!”

Glad to hear the AW has been helpful alerting you to medical conditions, that's part of what they're intended for. If I were in your position and relied so heavily on it for health reasons, I'd personally wait until you hear from the masses how the latest updates are before updating your AW. I realize this isn't going to solve your issue now but thinking ahead, perhaps it will. I am still running iOS 12.4.1 and Watch OS 5.3.2 and will only update once I hear of stability. A past iOS update got me once before, so from that experience I've learned it's best to wait. And never on the first day. Here's hoping you and the others with this issue get your fix soon!