Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamelin73

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2019
East Texas
I did the series 4 SS SB ML band just for the sapphire screen. I am not please with the glass tho. I have micro scratches on it already. I have a couple other watches with sapphire glass and have not had a scratch on either of the other 2 watches. Both are Citizen but not sure of the model. One is about 6 years old and doesn't have any signs of scratches. I have only had this AW4 for about 3 months and have 2 micro scratches that are noticeable if looking for them.

Other then the micro scratches I am very pleased with the watch. I do want to get a good dark brown leather strap for it. I want the black hardware tho.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I did the series 4 SS SB ML band just for the sapphire screen. I am not please with the glass tho. I have micro scratches on it already. I have a couple other watches with sapphire glass and have not had a scratch on either of the other 2 watches. Both are Citizen but not sure of the model. One is about 6 years old and doesn't have any signs of scratches. I have only had this AW4 for about 3 months and have 2 micro scratches that are noticeable if looking for them.

Other then the micro scratches I am very pleased with the watch. I do want to get a good dark brown leather strap for it. I want the black hardware tho.

waist of money when AW 5 comes out your AW4 will be worth less then half from what you bought it. My suggestion is to buy the Aluminum

Reactions: throAU

the future

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002

That‘s probably because the Space Black Milanese Loop is DLC coated (like the Watch body itself) and thus so hard that it may actually scratch the sapphire! You need to be extra careful with that particular strap so it doesn‘t get into contact with the watch screen.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
That‘s probably because the Space Black Milanese Loop is DLC coated (like the Watch body itself) and thus so hard that it may actually scratch the sapphire! You need to be extra careful with that particular strap so it doesn‘t get into contact with the watch screen.

disagree my ss aw didn't get stretch yet and thee ss band dont know how you can sketch the screen with it

jaybar

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2008
There is nothing to disagree about. DLC is harder than sapphire and may scratch it. There are also several threads on this very forum about this problem.

I think using “disagreement” is not the best term. Equally, I think admonishing someone for using it, is not the best either.

For me, it is a matter of personal experience. Some have found this to be a problem. Others have not.

I would be curious about the percentage of Watch owners with a SB SS and SB Milanese Loop that have found this to be problematic.

I would also be curious about what the DLC consists of. Is Appke using industrial diamond dust?

I am also skeptical that Apple would craft a band that knowingly would scratch the sapphire crystal. However, they are not immune to poor materials choices or questionable design. They do make mistakes.

Lastly, it could be that the sapphire crystal Apple uses is sub optimal. Have anyone with SS ML bands that are not SB, reported scratching issues with the SS watch.

It could be the incidence of scratching is very low and well within expectation. I have had other watches with sapphire or mineral crystals” that have scratched through daily “NORMAL” use.

In the final analysis, it may well be the SB ML, but we need to know more.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s common knowledge to know On this forum, that DLC is a harder particulate over Sapphire, the diamond like carbon coating on the space black Milanese loop band can/will scratch the casing/ Sapphire display on the Apple Watch. There are multiple threads on this subject, where members were having scratches acrrue on their watch without them even knowing how it happened, until they figured out it was the space black Milanese loop band causing the problem.

Reactions: Murilo Callegari

jaybar

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2008
It’s common knowledge to know On this forum, that DLC is a harder particulate over Sapphire, the diamond like carbon coating on the space black Milanese loop band can/will scratch the casing/ Sapphire display on the Apple Watch. There are multiple threads on this subject, where members were having scratches acrrue on their watch without them even knowing how it happened, until they figured out it was the space black Milanese loop band causing the problem.

@Relentless Power, so if one wants th SB SS watch, and wants a SS band. what can one choose? I’m not wild about the leather loop given my potential allergies and wonder if the leather loop might also scratch?

I don’t think the silver goes well with the SB Watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@Relentless Power, so if one wants th SB SS watch, and wants a SS band. what can one choose? I’m not wild about the leather loop given my potential allergies and wonder if the leather loop might also scratch?

I don’t think the silver goes well with the SB Watch.

The leather loop won’t scratch your Apple Watch, simply because it’s a different type of material. As for your allergy conditions, I don’t know that it will cause a reaction or not, but you could simply purchase one from Apple and you have 14 days to return it. Have you tried Apples flueroastamer sport bands? Or even the Velcro Sport Loop? Both really good bands as well.

I own the stainless steel link band, and I pair that with the space black Apple Watch, and I personally like the contrast of the colors with the silver from the band and the black stainless watch, and the link band will not come in contact with the Apple Watch because it’s rigid when it’s off your wrist.

jaybar

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2008
The leather loop won’t scratch your Apple Watch, simply because it’s a different type of material. As for your allergy conditions, I don’t know that it will cause a reaction or not, but you could simply purchase one from Apple and you have 14 days to return it. Have you tried Apples flueroastamer sport bands? Or even the Velcro Sport Loop? Both really good bands as well.

I own the stainless steel link band, and I pair that with the space black Apple Watch, and I personally like the contrast of the colors with the silver from the band and the black stainless watch, and the link band will not come in contact with the Apple Watch because it’s rigid when it’s off your wrist.

Thank You.

the future

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Yeah, get the Space Black Link Bracelet. Best watch strap ever, but expensive.

P.S. The choice of DLC for the SB ML is not really a „poor materials choice“, either. It‘s more like being between a rock and a hard place. Like it is now, the band may scratch the screen, so you need to be careful in handling it. But if the coating of the SB ML was less hard, the band itself would get scratches more easily in everyday use and would show the silver steel underneath …

jaybar

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2008
@Relentless Power, how does the link bracelet work getting on and off? Do you need to separate the clasp or can you just put your hand through like the loop variety?

One of the things that draws me to the ML is the ease of which I can manage it, given hand issues.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@Relentless Power, how does the link bracelet work getting on and off? Do you need to separate the clasp or can you just put your hand through like the loop variety?

One of the things that draws me to the ML is the ease of which I can manage it, given hand issues.

With the link bracelet, there is a ‘pushbutton clasp’ on both sides of the bracelet that’s very easy to manipulate to take the watch band on and off. The link bracelet is very easy to manage, and the best part, is the removable links that you just push a small button and they disconnect to adjust the link to your wrist.

CreepyAF

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you

It could be the oleophobic layer that appears scratched

Archetim

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
Since Apple watch is more outdating tech than timeless luxury, I always go for the cheap version. I recently sold my alum 42mm Series 2 GPS to a reseller for 130 euros. The stainless steel version of this model would have only brought about 60 euros more, regardless of the much higher sale price.

Archetim

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
That depends on how long you plan on keeping it and your tolerance for re-sale loss. I still have my SS 42mm LTE S3. No serious offers since I bought the S4.

If I had realized that, I would've traded it in when I bought the S4 when the trade in prices were highest.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
That depends on how long you plan on keeping it and your tolerance for re-sale loss. I still have my SS 42mm LTE S3. No serious offers since I bought the S4.

If I had realized that, I would've traded it in when I bought the S4 when the trade in prices were highest.

I have that watch too I drop the price to $400 and no one buy Apple will give you $190 don't buy the SS unless you going to keep it to the end

Reactions: jbachandouris

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
i have had both stainless and I use aluminum watches and would like some thoughts and opinions on what metal to go with on a Apple Watch series 4

I was going to go stainless this time (initially i went base model aluminium as a trial to see if i liked the idea, and i am now sold on the watch as a useful device), but ended up going aluminium (again).

Why?

• I already bought a milanese loop band for my previous s2 that i am re-using (space black, works pretty well with the space grey aluminium)
  • The aluminium is lighter
  • For the cost difference, that's half a new watch in the next 12-24 months when the s5 or s6 is out.

Functionality is essentially identical. Comfort (during exercise with the velcro sport band) is better. Applecare has damage cover.

For me it ended up being a no brainer to go aluminium, for several hundred dollars less.

Last edited:

johnmed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
uk
I have the AW 3 wifi+cell 42" SS but next time I am going to buy the Aluminum one the price of the SS. is way to high and in one year you loose more the half of it price for example to buy AW 4 wifi+cell 44" SS include sail tax $902 I can't get $400 for mine

I have had 3 AWs now. All aluminium. I don’t understand how people have bought into Apple’s vision of SS being some kind of premium material. You can buy £15 watches made of SS.

I think people’s views of wearables being throwaway and the SS depreciating as it does shows SS isn’t something premium, outside of Apple’s bubble.

Only in the land of Apple is a stylus a ‘pencil’, and cost £100, or a Milanese strap (which I admit I’ve owned, bought used) cost £149. This is simple marketing nonesense.

Don’t get me started on Apple’s sapphire glass that they use on camera lenses and the AW. I’ve seen the scratch tests on YouTube; it’s like budget sapphire with premium pricing.

Last edited:

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I have had 3 AWs now. All aluminium. I don’t understand how people have bought into Apple’s vision of SS being some kind of premium material. You can buy £15 watches made of SS.

You can also buy SS Rolex models for $8,500 and the Audermars Piguet Royal Oak for nearly $20,000. Obviously, these aren't precious metals, but a lot of the price factor down to the manufacturing process and of course, marketing. When you compare the price of a SS AW to the luxury Swiss brands, the SS AW looks like a bargain. :)

Reactions: the future

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA

I think people’s views of wearables being throwaway and the SS depreciating as it does shows SS isn’t something premium, outside of Apple’s bubble.

Only in the land of Apple is a stylus a ‘pencil’, and cost £100, or a Milanese strap (which I admit I’ve owned, bought used) cost £149. This is simple marketing nonesense.

Don’t get me started on Apple’s sapphire glass that they use on camera lenses and the AW. I’ve seen the scratch tests on YouTube; it’s like budget sapphire with premium pricing.

I bought the SS because the aluminum one when get hit on the frame during work or over heat the screen popped out

jaybar

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2008
I bought the SS because the aluminum one when get hit on the frame during work or over heat the screen popped out

I purchased the SB SS with ML (my first AW) because I am hard on Watches and felt there would be a reduced likelihood of scratching. Also I have a history of rashes regarding watches and my dermatologist felt the SS with ML would be both easiest to manage FOR ME and present the least likelihood of adverse reactions.

As to why a purchased an AW to begin with? It was because of fall detection. I am discovering many of the other features as well and really glad I made the purchase.

ripsaw650

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2015
Utah
I have the SG Aluminum (s0) the SS Silver (s2) and the silver aluminum (s4) I like the looks and feel of the SS much better than the other two! I wear the SS to the office and the silver aluminum s4 at home, for workouts, and general use. I do wish I would have went with the SS s4 now.

Last edited:

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
It’s depends how particular you are about scratches. If you don’t have a problem with scratching, but you just want the stainless classic look, then opt with the regular 316 L stainless Apple Watch, the benefit being that you can remove the scratches with a polishing cloth and restore it almost to factory condition.

If you’re someone that’s concerned about scratches, the space black stainless with the [diamond like carbon coating] would be your best option, as that’s fairly protective over the casing, the downside to the space black casing/DLC, is if you do scratch the casing, they are permanent, and you will not be able to remove them as you would with the regular stainless Apple Watch.

My thoughts exactly. I don't like scratches, but a patina on a Silver SS that can be polished is way better an option to me than a scratch on the carbon like finish that is permanent.
[doublepost=1553273726][/doublepost]

There are youtube videos on the sapphire Apple uses, it's not pure sapphire and is a knock off version unfortunately.

Reactions: shamelin73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.