Apple Watch 5 w/Cellular?

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
So I will probably order a new AW as well.
I can get a deal through a carrier however I feel to know how the cellular service works without the iPhone around.

I might find it useful if I want to leave my phone behind and go to the gym, go outside and walk a trail/park and still have music and be able to access calls text if need be.

My only question is that I am sure the apple watch gets it's own unique phone number but what happens when you go to make a phone call which number does it use?

I don't have a need for the apple watch line number to actually work for anything so I just want to make sure my actual cell phone number is being used for all communication so if anyone has any in depth insight it is greatly appreciated.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Whoa, the Apple Watch gets its own number? I haven't used a cellular watch, but I'm surprised it's not just one number which is answerable by either the phone or the watch when called.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So I will probably order a new AW as well.
I can get a deal through a carrier however I feel to know how the cellular service works without the iPhone around.

I might find it useful if I want to leave my phone behind and go to the gym, go outside and walk a trail/park and still have music and be able to access calls text if need be.

My only question is that I am sure the apple watch gets it's own unique phone number but what happens when you go to make a phone call which number does it use?

I don't have a need for the apple watch line number to actually work for anything so I just want to make sure my actual cell phone number is being used for all communication so if anyone has any in depth insight it is greatly appreciated.
It has its own number assigned but that’s only for carrier identification purposes. When you make a call or text on it via cellular, it uses your actual cell phone number and the recipient will not even know it’s coming from your watch. Same if they call or text you. They will use your actual cell phone number. You will not be giving out a separate watch number

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010

I don't have a need for the apple watch line number to actually work for anything so I just want to make sure my actual cell phone number is being used for all communication
Yep, to put it simple and bluntly, all communications will come from your iPhone number. Any technical behind the scene is just irrelevant.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Actually the Apple Watch does not get its own phone number per se - it uses the same number as your iPhone. That’s the beauty and simplicity of it.
It actually does get its own number but it’s a non useable number. The carrier has to assign a separate number to the SIM. For practical purposes though, it uses your cell phone number.

Just don’t want the OP to be confused when they activate cellular and they see a separate phone number assigned to the watch.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Thx guys.
That works even if I am not in the proximity of my cell phone. It will always use my cell phone number right?