Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
Just received a new AW8. The battery seemed completely dead. Placed it on the included charger, hour later still showing the red power bolt. Tried a different charge (old watch) for a hour, same thing. I've tried pressing the side button but no reaction/startup.

This seems dead, but I though I'd ask before contacting Apple.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Make sure you thoroughly clean both contact surfaces, see if that helps.

If it has experienced a deep discharge the the li-ion battery will be goosed.
I wouldn’t be happy keeping it even if it sprung into life.

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022
I know yours is new. I've purchased many new Apple Watches but only one refurbished. It was an S7 that did the same. I read some articles to find this sometimes happens with refurbs. I kept it plugged in and the power bolt left after a half hour. It charged perfectly after that and it's fine now. Like the others said, I would leave it plugged in longer, about two hours. If it doesn't come back then I would return it to Apple.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
My SBSS S8 had no battery charge out of the box, had no issues with it charging though

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I have own a lot of Apple Watches and all have had somewhere between 60 and 80 percent out of the box. Never had one stone cold dead. It would concern me for sure.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
It’s a Hermes S8, there’s no refurbished versions of this to buy on the AU Apple Store

It’s not really strange, there’s plenty of Reddit posts about new watches coming with no charge so it’s of no concern at all

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
It’s a Hermes S8, there’s no refurbished versions of this to buy on the AU Apple Store

It’s not really strange, there’s plenty of Reddit posts about new watches coming with no charge so it’s of no concern at all
Hermes, bloody hell, get it replaced.
I’ve never had a new device that was dead on arrival. Why take the chance the battery health might be compromised.

Reactions: Piscestg

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I really don’t care

It’s an electronic watch with no resale value that will get replaced in 2-3 years

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
Well just to follow-up. First, thanks everyone. I left it on the charger for an additional hour and have charged it again this morning. Everything seems to be working just fine. Like someone said, it's a bit odd that a watch arrived completely discharged but this was new, delivered from a local store. it needed a software update so may have been sitting on their shelf for a bit.

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022

In your previous post you didn't say it was a Hermes. I've bought many new Apple Watches and they've always come with approximately 50 or 60% of a charge. So to me that is strange, which is my opinion. And I a not on Reddit so I wouldn't have seen those posts.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I don’t think it was relevant as it’s an S8 regardless of the name stamped on the back.

In any case the S8 is too new for refurbs to be available on Apple Au

OCS12

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Sheboygan, WI USA
I don’t think it was relevant as it’s an S8 regardless of the name stamped on the back.

In any case the S8 is too new for refurbs to be available on Apple Au
The only reason it being a Hermes edition is relevant is because not many of them get sold. It probably sat on a shelf much longer than a typical aluminum AW, which would explain why the battery was drained.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
The only reason it being a Hermes edition is relevant is because not many of them get sold. It probably sat on a shelf much longer than a typical aluminum AW, which would explain why the battery was drained.
That part is relevant yes, I was going to say it was probably a release day Watch that has sat in the warehouse since then, as I doubt many Hermes get sold in Australia, till I ordered it late December

But I didn’t want to drag the conversation on and away from the OP’s problem 😅

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Well just to follow-up. First, thanks everyone. I left it on the charger for an additional hour and have charged it again this morning. Everything seems to be working just fine. Like someone said, it's a bit odd that a watch arrived completely discharged but this was new, delivered from a local store. it needed a software update so may have been sitting on their shelf for a bit.
Also is it cold where you’re at? Super cold could zap the battery

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
The OP is from down under land and it is summer there. I would highly doubt that it has been cold there but maybe climate change happened down under.
No, not from down under...down south, sure. Wasn't really cold, but I think it was a release date watch that the store had sitting on the shelf when I ordered. Still running and charging great.

Reactions: Daku93 and JM

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
My series 7 took ages to power up when I got it. It’s been fine since. It came straight from China as I used the strap studio thingy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.