Apple watch a battery life issue

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Alexrat1996, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Alexrat1996 Suspended

I took my apple watch out of charger at 9:30 pm at 100% and woke up at 6:45 am at 84% battery on the apple watch with no usage just sitting on my desk is my battery battery defective or is this normal

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

That would be 8 hours off the charger for 16% of the battery. That's pretty good. Even just sitting on your dresser your watch uses power. Your battery is fine.

If I may ask, why did you remove it from the charger? It will not overcharge or harm the watch in any way.

3. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

Because I had this apple apple watch replaced three times already due to charging issues it died while My watch was charging and before 8 hrs got me 89% when I woke up with out usage I saw the drop yesterday and today not any other day

4. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

I never seen it drop this low the lowest was 89% when I woke up

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why have it on your wrist overnight when the AW doesn't really do any sleep tracking. If you out it on power reserve, you may see better results.

As for the power drop, I think its ok, as mentioned by Newtons Apple, it may be result of you sleep, your arm movement may have inadvertently activated the watch face a number of times, causing more power to be used.

6. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

The watch is not on my wrist when I'm sleeping it's on my desk

7. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

The only thing I did is update the phone software to 8.4.1

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh, I see.

Why not keep it plugged in over night then? That's what I do.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sounds like someone is 'looking' for problems, even when that don't exist.

I also agree that 16% drop for 8 hours sounds correct. The watch is using BT and WiFi plus 'housekeeping' chores while powered on (even if not on your wrist). The only way to keep it in the single digits drop would be to power off. Also anytime you don't have it on your wrist (especially sleeping) is a good time to have on the charger.

10. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

I will try that maybe it some of the apps I have installed on watch

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Like other have said the watch is actually doing things while on your dresser.

Try charging your watch while sleeping and you will find you will not need to during the day. When your watch is sitting on the dresser and not on the charger your phone is also silenced and you would not hear any notifications. Maybe that is how you want it but I got to be able to hear a phone call or alert from a text or email. My cell is my only phone so if I am not wearing my watch it MUST be on the charger so I can get notifications.

12. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

I get 40 hours to a charge and that's wearing it to bed too.

13. srshaw macrumors 6502

I often sleep with mine. Its quite interesting to see my sleeping heart rate. I also really like how I can cancel my iphone alarm from across the room.

14. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Why sleep with it? Can you say alarm? Wakes me without waking my wife. That alone is worth the price.

15. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Exactly how I use my watch every night. I change my watch at 9pm and by 10pm it is fully charged and then I put it back on and set the silent alarm for 5am, turn on DND if it isn't already on and turn off raise wrist and open sleep pulse. 7 hours later, my watch is now at about 88-90%. Before I used sleep pulse it was 92-93% after 7 hours. If it dipped into the 80's % range, I just cold booted the watch.

I love the silent alarm and so does my wife!

16. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I'm going to piggy back off your thread. I updated my phone to 8.4.1 and have seen a dramatic drop to my Apple Watch battery life. At first i thought it was because I forgot to charge it one night. No big deal. I left it on the charger last night for 10 hours and took it off around 7:30am this morning. First weird thing,when I unlocked my phone it didn't unlock my watch. Second, I have never used my watch enough in a day that I saw the reserve pop up. Normally i have 40% by 11pm. Today, after sitting all day at my desk job mind you, I get the reserve pop up at 4 pm. By 5 it has put itself in reserve mode. No notifactions except for stand and 1 phone call today. No app usage on it at all. Anyone have any ideas? I'm about to reset it.

17. lionsy macrumors 6502

I'm curious, is your watch connected to your phone all day (Bluetooth on with both devices all day)

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Having had three watches replaced to me suggests it's your apps that cause the drain and not the hardware itself. Have you looked at the usage info?

19. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Usually it is. I hardly tun it off. Just as a note my battery life on my 6 plus is still completely normal.

20. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Agreed. Check the usage with the Apple Watch app on your phone. I bet it isn't showing no use when you hit power reserve. Bad apps have been a common problem with those having mysterious battery drain.