Apple Watch - A positive thread!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BMox, Sep 10, 2014.

1. BMox macrumors 6502

BMox

Seems to be a lot of negativity towards the watch which is perfectly fine, but I think it's a cracking piece of kit.

Totally love the digital crown-taking a fundamental part of a regular watch and bringing it into the 21st century. My other half said she was (begrudgingly) impressed with the zoom in and out function that the crown provided.

And the ability to make it your own (like with the faces, straps and potential apps)-much like everyone's phone is personal to them will make it stand out above the others IMO.

It certainly made me interested in getting one in the new year (funds permitting of course).

So yeah, just my thoughts on it all and thought Apple did a great job with the keynote.

2. solo118 macrumors 65816

Finally a positive thread... problem is there are not too many responses which scares me. I am with you though!

3. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

4. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Yes a lot of negativity, if you don't like it DON'T BUY IT!! I'm definitely getting one for me and one for my wife too, love how it looks and the functions possible.

And remember the stick apple got when introducing the ipad, one of it's best sellers!

5. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i was thinking the exact same thing. no one knew why we would need an iPad and now look at it.

i have a feeling future generations of this watch are going to be able to do truly amazing things. Apple is off to a great start with this watch :)

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

What is completely weird to me is how people just assume Apple built a square watch without tons of research. There is a reason why they decided to go with a square design. Sure, Motorola did research too, but I'll trust Apples decision to go with square over Moto's decision to go with round. Why? Because Apple has a richer history of design success.

7. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Both the iPhone and iPad announcements were followed by 6 month slugfests on the internet. The damn thing will finally launch and the haters will be reasonably drowned out by happy users (except on Android heavy sites).

8. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

The part I don't get with all the bashing, is the simple fact that the Watch hasn't been released yet. It is only featured on Apples US website, not anywhere else. There are no specification page put up, which means everything about it hasn't been announced yet.

I'm definitely getting one when they come out!

9. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

WE'RE NOT GOING TO!! Jeez.

10. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I think many people were expecting, as always, something revolutionary. Not existing ideas done better. But guess what, the latter is what Apple always does.

Personally, I'm not a big fan watches, but I'd have liked to see some really sleek curved super-flat style watch that might peek my interests. But if anything, Apple chose to go with a more traditional watch approach. That might have upset people, but Apple is after a really broad market, and I think this design direction is the right one for that purpose.

Yes, it's still digital and "geeky" if you will. It also looks huge on their site when it's just the watch surrounded by white. But on every single real-life wrist I've seen on videos and photos so far it looks pretty good to me, regardless of what style you personally prefer.

The majority of the designs I find horrible, but that's the great thing: there are so many options, and there are a few combinations I do like. I'm sure that's true for almost everyone.

Exactly. What do people expect happened in the last 1-2 maybe 3 years? People have been wearing and using these things for a really long time. This has been really well thought out. I'm sure they used many different input methods and designs, and finally came to this one because they felt it was "right". This isn't some rush-to-market tactic, it's the result of many years of research and testing by people who know their stuff.

Does that mean it'll be a guaranteed success or that every single person will want one? Of course not. But it sure looks like a well thought-out product, both hardware and software, and that's important.

I also think that opening up the watch for developers straight away is a good thing, and will help its adoption. The App Store on the iPhone was an accident; people started creating apps even before Apple thought of it. This time around they literally stated that they're looking forward to seeing what developers are going to do with this, and I think there are many interesting opportunities here.

11. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

I think it's a great start, but I think I'll wait till the second or third gen before I get one just since the second/third gen's of all their other products have been so much better, and there's nothing the watch does that my phone can't do better already.

12. Milese3 macrumors 6502

Agreed. I'm excited for Apple. 2015 will be a great year!

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I totally agree with you here. If there was no SDK and no App Store the thing really would be useless. I'm not going to pay $350 (or more) for a device that just has notifications pushed to it. I can't wait until it can be a stand alone device so when I'm at the gym or going for a run I don't need to bring my phone with me.

14. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

15. username: macrumors 6502a

I admit I am the perfect customer right now because I want a new watch and I also want a fitness tracking device. So the apple watch is perfect. I want one now! I think it is a beautiful watch and incredibly functional. Those fitness apps look awesome, and even though nobody knows much yet, I would argue better than any other fitness apps on the market.

16. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't wear watches and haven't had one for at least 15 years, but I am getting the Apple Watch. It got me really excited and I can't wait...

17. username: macrumors 6502a

haha I havent worn one for ages either but I am liking the idea of a smart watch and also I really want a fitness tracking device as they seem super useful

18. saskateam macrumors newbie

I am the same. i even said I do not know why people where a watch when they have a cell phone. Know I really want to wear a watch again and every time of a new use for it I want it more. Started the savings already so I can get it when it releases.

19. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I probably won't get one for a few years, but I think it's great. As a first-generation device, there will certainly be some limitations, but I don't think that's a huge problem.

It will be good to see the upgrade cycle. My guess is they'll update it every two years or so. Because it's tethered to an iPhone, the new features in subsequent iPhones will be enjoyed on the Apple Watch as well, if that makes sense. And as more sensors get incorporated, vice-versa.

The use of APIs between the two devices will get very interesting. Imagine your watch vibrating with a custom pattern set by Uber when your rideshare is approaching, for example.

20. rengb6 macrumors newbie

I won't be buying the most expensive model until the second or third gen but I will get the sapphire glass model to try the watch out. I think once developers start making apps for this watch it'll be a great product. I'm excited to see what Apple does with it in the future.

21. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Moto 360 compeletly went form over function, looks nice, but 12 hour battery and taking forever to charge? Who wears a watch for that short of a period?
    Also, it's UI is made for a square, which is pretty unforgiving.

22. voigtstr macrumors member

I love the watch, I think I will get the stainless steel one (my wedding ring is iridium coated titanium so I'm not really into accessorising with gold), but I'm thinking of getting at least 3 straps... The blue wrap around leather, the wrap around chain link, and the stainless steel links.