Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
Thailand
As I had some travelling planned, I ran a quick price comparison on the series 5 Apple Watch, using an identical specification in each scenario, so's I could decide when, where and even whether to upgrade my watch or not. The outcome was pretty surprising so here's a share in case you're interested.

I wonder if it's the taxman that makes the variance so enormous, but it is no surprise at all that the chai seller doesn't have an Apple Watch and, sadly, may never get the chance!

Attachments

• iWatch Price Comparison.png
    iWatch Price Comparison.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The U.S. price does not include sales tax, which is almost 10% in my area.

Bolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
Thailand
Thanks. That’s a useful consideration. Thailand & UK price does, but not India. I’m guessing, but import duty is probably the culprit in India.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Thanks. That’s a useful consideration. Thailand & UK price does, but not India. I’m guessing, but import duty is probably the culprit in India.
Yeah, you can count on roughly 10% most places in the U.S. There are some states that don't have sales tax, but you don't want to visit them. ?

Reactions: HDFan

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The UK price includes 20% VAT. If you’re visiting the UK from outside the EU and then intend to travel onwards to another country outside the EU you should be able to claim that tax back, resulting in a final cost of $566.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.