Apple Watch, AirPods, and Other Apple Goods to Be Exempt From China Tariffs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Apple Watch, AirPods, and some other Apple products will be exempted from a proposed $200 billion tariff on Chinese goods, reports Bloomberg.

An updated list of products affected by the tariffs is expected to be released today, and it will not include a product category that covers Apple Watch, AirPods, and other smart watches and fitness trackers. Five separate sources have confirmed to Bloomberg that the Trump administration will exempt many of Apple's products.

[​IMG]
    A preliminary tariff list released earlier this year did include wireless devices like the AirPods and the Apple Watch, and Apple in early September said that several of its products would be affected.

Apple sent a letter to the Trump administration urging it not to apply the tariffs that would affect Apple products, asking the government to instead find "other, more effective" solutions. Apple said implementing the tariffs would lead to lower U.S. growth and competitiveness, along with higher prices for U.S. consumers.

Back in July, Apple CEO Tim Cook commented on the tariffs, saying that Apple was "optimistic" the issue would be sorted out, with the company hoping "calm heads prevail."

This fourth round of tariffs will cover $200 billion in Chinese goods and it joins several other tariffs that have already been put in place on products like steel, aluminum, and billions of dollars worth of goods.

Update: The new list of tariffs has been released and Apple's devices are indeed excluded.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Watch, AirPods, and Other Apple Goods to Be Exempt From China Tariffs

2. Asarien, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018

Asarien macrumors 6502

The hypocrisy knows zero bounds. Just make it all up as you go!

3. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Interesting...what happened behind closed doors to make this happen? o_O

4. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

So the most valuable company will be exempt, but smaller companies will have to pay. Cool.

5. mozumder macrumors 6502a

But Trump will increase taxes on everything else, punishing the poor and the elderly on fixed-income the most, since they rely on commodity imported goods the most.

This is how Trump and the Republicans punish Americans - by raising prices for everything.

Trump will squeeze every last penny out of you!

6. ayres macrumors regular

you can’t get me to touch this even with a ten foot pole!

7. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

My concerns with the trade war are now resolved. Thanks Trump! /s

8. mozumder macrumors 6502a

Trump probably figured out the raising taxes needs on highly visible products isn't a good look, so he's going to raise taxes on less visible products instead.

9. patrickbarnes macrumors regular

$$$ ;)

10. madKIR macrumors 6502a

promised backdoor access to iDevices LOL

11. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Yay! No tariff on something I buy once every three years!

12. Sora macrumors 6502

Sora

So does that mean we owe a ton of money to China because we are in a trade deficit with them?? Or is that money we lost?

/s

Stupidity is reaching critical levels. And intelligence is being overwhelmed.

13. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

Nothing a little lobbying can't fix by Apple. Wonder how much they had to pay out for this to happen.

14. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

Protectionist policies are actually very much a left leaning view and something not many Republicans agree on (unless you count using increased tariffs as a means to end them).

If the goal is to use them as negotiating leverage to lower tariffs on both sides, I think it makes more sense.

15. L-Viz macrumors regular

L-Viz

16. diamornte macrumors regular

Baby potus needs his gold iPhone Tennis Excess Max

17. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

The usual hookers, blow, and suitcases of cash most likely

18. Sora macrumors 6502

Sora

19. alphaswift macrumors regular

What happened? A few choices:

(a) Tim promised Donald that he would build a factory
    (b) Tim promised Donald that he'd get back door access to iPhones
    (c) Tim promised Donald a board seat with stock options in 2020
    (d) Tim showed Donald some pee-pee pictures taken on an iPhone.

I'm so hoping for (d)

20. FNH15 macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite pleased by this, as it makes my Apple Watch 4 purchase cheaper, but this kind of exemption underscores just how absurd these protectionist, xenophobic trade policies really are...

21. L-Viz macrumors regular

L-Viz

Baby Potus needs bigger display and keyboard to avoid typos.

Covfefe.

22. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

President Trump doe not want to harm either U.S. consumers or Apple sales going forward. Nice move! China is also happy too, since 35% of worldwide iPhone sales are in the U.S.

23. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I need to bury this article. Its how I convinced my wife to let me buy the AW4 this week instead of waiting a couple more months until I'd saved my pocket money ;)

24. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir