Apple watch allergic reaction, Apple not accepting a return

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jonnyfreeman, Aug 29, 2015.

1. jonnyfreeman macrumors newbie

jonnyfreeman

I have an apple watch, milanese loop, 42mm. Within a few weeks of starting to wear it (early may 2015), I developed a nasty rash on my wrist right under the watch face. I stopped wearing the watch around June 20th, on advice of Apple Support. Have been in contact with them over last couple of months (phone, email, sent pics), and though they acknowledge the watch is causing the reaction, they have asked me to start wearing it again now that the reaction has cleared up, and to contact them when it comes back.... I just want to return the watch, £600 for a wrist inflammation is not a great consumer proposition, but have been told that's not Apple's policy given that the 14 day period after delivery has elapsed. Anyone had their watch accepted as a return following an allergic reaction like this?

[​IMG]

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Yep, I believe if you calmly explained this to Apple they would change their mind. Heck, they have been know to replace a sport with a SS model at no charge to make some with sensitivities happy. I would try and call again.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably because he'll not get all of $$ he paid for the watch.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People keep citing this but it's a totally different issue. In that thread the OP had a defective band that had an abnormally high level of nickel so Apple felt compelled to compensate him in some way. Here it's just a reaction to normal level of nickel.

7. jonnyfreeman thread starter macrumors newbie

jonnyfreeman

Thanks, I have had quite a few calls with Apple - all calm and good natured. Their engineers' helpline seem supportive but have been told to relay to me that I need to wear it again and get the rash again before they'll consider a refund...

8. jonnyfreeman thread starter macrumors newbie

jonnyfreeman

Yep, exactly,

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'll chalk that up to poor customer service typical of Apple outside the United States. So much for EU's excessive customer protection law.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Have you seen your GP? Has it been confirmed as an allergic reaction or could it be something more common (and not watch-specific) like a fungal infection?

If it's been confirmed as an allergy by a doctor then you definitely want to relay that to Apple. Just the fact that you've bothered to get a doctor involved will get them moving.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Not the reply I would expect but the choice is yours. Sorry about your problem and hope you get it resolved.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't think this isn't necessarily indicative of Apple's service outside the US. I've had small problems with Apple products which were replaced without question, yet I've had other bigger problems which took multiple conversations and Apple Store visits to sort out. It depends on a number of factors: not all employees handle things the same.

However, the fact remains that the EU directives do provide better consumer protection. I haven't heard that many cases of things in the US being fixed outside of AppleCare, but here it is done almost without question if the item is clearly defective.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What do you mean by "outside AppleCare"? I live in the U.S., and I almost never buy AppleCare, but have had no problems getting Apple products replaced within the first year of purchase when they were clearly defective. Most of the problems I read here about people having problems getting replacement seems to be because there is a question over whether a product is actually defective, or whether the problem is due to damage caused by the user.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

By outside AppleCare, I mean when AppleCare has expired. I've had a couple of products replaced about a year after AppleCare expired for no cost.

AppleCare is just Apple's terms for their warranty - not necessarily the three-year extended warranty.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ah. I've always thought of AppleCare as the extended warranty, and the first year warranty as just regular product warranty.

In any case, the extended warranty is a non-issue with the watch for now, because no watches are outside the standard warranty period yet.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's more correct to refer to the first year warranty as "standard warranty" rather than AppleCare. Before we got AC+, we had "AppleCare" which offered no accidental damage protection but merely extended the standard warranty into the second year.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Why are you reluctant to try again? Either it will not happen again and you can wear your :apple:Watch or it happens again and then Apple will likely start the return process.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I can kind of understand being reluctant to risk another rash. I think if the customer doesn't want to risk a rash, then Apple should accept that choice and start the return process.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I agree. From an American perspective, it's almost inexcusable for Apple to require that a customer suffer another rash in order to accept a return so I can only guess it's a UK thing.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To be clear, if it were me, I'd agree to try it another time to see if this time I didn't develop a rash, as I'd like to keep the watch if possible. But the choice should be up to the customer! Is this really a UK vs US thing?

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

just buy another band or trade it with someone...

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Didn't OP say the rash was under the watch (that is, probably caused by the heartbeat sensors)? If so, another band won't help.

23. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

24. Nell macrumors regular

It seems to me to be common sense to try it again once the rash has gone. Irritation behind a watch can be caused by the watch but it can also be caused by something getting trapped between watch and wrist.

And yes, in the UK it's not at all unusual for things to be replaced out of warranty but it's something that sometimes happens immediately (at the discretion of the store manager) and sometimes happens after the case has been pushed further. This isn't a warranty issue though; it's about the return period and refunds outwith the return period seem to be discretionary everywhere.