Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an Apple Watch if Aetna offered a significant subsidy (let's say >50% cost)?

• Total voters

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
How many of you would buy an Apple Watch that wouldn't have if Aetna gives you a substantial discount?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...or-some-aetna-customers-itll-soon-be-covered/

As for me, I think this would be the tipping point of me getting one. I was going to wait a few years until the major annoyance of having a device, daily charging, would be less of an issue. Depending on the discount, it might be worth it for me to get one, especially since I would splurge on the SS model. I haven't worn a watch since I was a teenager, but back then I would bang the glass of the watch pretty good since I'm a bit of a klutz.

clg82

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Southern California
I currently use my AppleWatch paired with my dexcom glucose monitoring system and love it.....it taps me on the wrist when my sugar gets too low....or too high....I purchased it full price and would do so again without a discount since it helps me too track my BG with ease.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
MOS DEF! figures my employer is moving away from Aetna in December! DOH!

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
If they're tracking my information, probably not. If it's a simple incentive to track fitness and be more fit, sure.

This is a good point.... kind of like the auto insurance carriers that have the program to install a driving monitor in your car. I have a feeling that this will be the norm one day when they have implantable bio-monitors.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
This is a good point.... kind of like the auto insurance carriers that have the program to install a driving monitor in your car. I have a feeling that this will be the norm one day when they have implantable bio-monitors.
Insurers have been doing this for years, and they pay you for it... At least 5 years ago, my insurer had a program where they gave you a free tracker and then gave you $25 rewards for days of activity over tiered thresholds. My wife and I made some good coin. I would gladly offer my activity data for a free AW. Now, they have shifted to similar programs where you BYOD and feed to their systems through your device's web interface.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
So this was a big announcement in September but haven't really heard anything since. Anyone have an Aetna plan where they advertise this? My Aetna plan doesn't seem to have any info on it, and there's little/no mention on it on Aetna's website so maybe I'm not employed by a big enough employer to get this type of discount.

I wonder this this type of partnership failed before it started? I think in some of the more detailed announcements, Aetna was supposed to come up with some Apple apps to work with the watch but maybe they haven't fully developed these apps yet and that's why they haven't rolled out the program?

Or maybe they just have all their people clenching their cheeks hoping the republicans don't screw up the entire health care system over the next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.