Apple Watch and AirPods

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tl01, Sep 12, 2017.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

well now I am fully intrigued by the cellular watch and the AirPods. Could I make calls and just the airpods to communicate on the calls? Please don't laugh and this question...I have just been slow to adopt wireless headphones. I got a pair of beats recently...I have always had Bluetooth or some other system in the car to be hands free, but the idea of not having to carry my phone around in the office and still be talking on it is neat. Will this likely be possible?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You should be able to transfer the audio from your Apple Watch to the AirPods as you would to make a phone call.

3. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

But the airpods bleed battery power in ear.
    You would have to answer the call and hold it while you take the earphone out of the case and put it in your ear

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

Can you elaborate on this please?

5. co1f macrumors regular

Airpods lose battery power when not in their charging case, regardless if they are playing audio or not.
    So it would take time to pull out if their case and connect to the call.

6. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

I have one AirPod in my shirt pocket during the day and once I get a call regardless if with phone or just watch I place it in my ear to take the call. Once the AirPod runs low on battery I replace it with the other one and the first gets to charge. This works perfectly for me.

7. co1f macrumors regular

Good to hear that works well. I noticed when I first got Airpods a couple of weeks ago, that leaving a pod out would drain the battery about 4% per hour, which seems like a lot. Realized that I really can’t leave home for the day with just one pod in my pocket (without charging case), so now I take the entire case. Also keeps the pods cleaner I guess.

8. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

All the hardware advancements in smart devices and smart cars (anything not constantly plugged in) seem to be impeded by the slow advancements of rechargeable battery technology. The battery is always the limiting factor.

9. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

The case is so small that I keep it in my blazer pocket during the typical workday. Hence, switching out the pod is not an issue for me. The combination of LTE watch and AirPods is truly fantastic. I will leave my phone in the office when out for lunch or in meetings and just trust the watch and AirPods. Has been truly a great experience for me.

10. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

I'm into this idea too. I have a pair of Beats Solo 3's, but the idea of a small, pocketable set of buds and a watch really makes me want them. I'm not the type to have too much tech, but I love my Beats and they act the same way, just not pocketable...argh....

11. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

I have the beats too. Will retire them though and stick with the pods.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It’s not that hard to take it out and put it in your ear. Problem solved.

13. donster28 macrumors 68000

The Apple Watch and Airpods are made to be used together!

Calling out, answering a call and controlling music playback (especially the volume using the dial) is a joy to experience.

I’m thinking Apple really thought of this through...really well to their advantage:
    - Using third party bluetooth headphones do not integrate well with the Apple Watch. Calling out and answering a call from the watch results in directing the audio/mic of the call to the watch, not the headphones.
    - Volume control on the Airpods is NIL...you need to use your phone or your third party bluetooth headphones to adjust.