Apple Watch and Blue Tooth GPS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by go4two, Apr 6, 2015.

1. go4two macrumors newbie

I searched and searched but can't find anything on this subject. Bluetooth GPS devices are very small, and could be an option for runners like myself to be able to get the GPS data to the watch instead of carrying the iphone when running. These BT GPS devices are literally the size of a keyless remote for your car and could easily fit in a pocket when running.

So, my question is will Apple allow these 3rd party BT GPS devices to work with the Apple watch? This would solve the problem of a power hungry GPS chip inside the watch, and not having to carry the iphone.

2. JoeFkling macrumors regular

I havent found anything that says it will allow external BT devices besides audio. I would like it to be able to attach a BT heart rate monitor. But now that you mention a GPS unit, that would be helpful too.

3. go4two thread starter macrumors newbie

I can tell you I won't be buying the Apple Watch if I have to carry my 6 plus with me. It makes so much sense for them to allow BT GPS devices to communicate with the watch. It blows my mind why Apple does this sort of stuff?