Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mully95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Hi there everyone. So I have just ordered the AW6. It’s my first AW and I can’t wait to get my hands on it! I’m just unsure about one thing.

I drive a Mercedes Sprinter van for work which has wireless CarPlay. The watch I have ordered is GPS only as my network provider doesn’t support watch cellular so I thought I’d read up on how it connects to the phone and from what I understand it connects to your phones WiFi(?) as does the wireless CarPlay.

Does anybody know how this would work? Would I have to connect to one over the other? I use CarPlay all the time for the navigation so that would be priority. Can the watch and CarPlay be connected at the same time? If not would my phone automatically connect to the watch as soon as I turn the CarPlay off?

I can’t find any definitive answers and would like to know.

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
The Apple Watch connects to your phone via multiple sensors (wireless and bluetooth). It should have no effect on your CarPlay connection. As a matter of fact, your watch will show a now playing screen when you're playing something through CarPlay, as well as vibrate for turn by turn when using navigation. It works seamlessly.

Once you set up your watch via your iPhone, it should all work just fine.

If for some reason you are concerned that the wireless CarPlay is being interfered by the watch (which it won't) you can always swipe down on the watch and place it in to airplane mode while in the car.

Congrats on your first Apple Watch!

Reactions: Mully95

Mully95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Thanks very much for the information!?

How far away would I have to be from my iPhone for the watch to disconnect? Sometimes I would leave the phone in my van if I was going into a business or a customers house?

And if it does disconnect from my iPhone will the devices automatically pair once in range of each other.

johnson090801

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2021
I am having the same trouble with my Toyota RAV4, and Toyota wants me to believe it is my iWatch that is causing my speakers to hiss and crackle and cut out and stop working. This is the 3rd time this has happened, they are saying our iPhone and iWatch up date to fast to keep up with the car. I am ready to give them back this car. I think it has something to do with Toyota or give the consumer a heads up that if you have a IWatch or iPhone our cars electrical system won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.