Apple Watch and cellular

Run1stride2nd

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Yes. Phone can be in another state, off, dead. You can still make calls with the watch. I use this often while coaching a mountain bike team so other coaches or parents can reach me while we are in the woods. Or my office needs to reach me, The Watch is clear even while my hands are on the bars and tearing through the trees. Love this watch.

Comment

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
Yes. Phone can be in another state, off, dead. You can still make calls with the watch. I use this often while coaching a mountain bike team so other coaches or parents can reach me while we are in the woods. Or my office needs to reach me, The Watch is clear even while my hands are on the bars and tearing through the trees. Love this watch.
i also had the same question as the original poster.
thanks for your clarification.

so, to confirm:
even though yr iPhone is not connected to the net, and is turned off, and not within bluetooth range:
1 you can make calls using cellular (as in calling any phone number)
2 you can make calls using the internet (as in calling a FaceTime Audio number)
3 you can text iMessage
4 you can text SMS

Comment

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
i also had the same question as the original poster.
thanks for your clarification.

so, to confirm:
even though yr iPhone is not connected to the net, and is turned off, and not within bluetooth range:
1 you can make calls using cellular (as in calling any phone number)
2 you can make calls using the internet (as in calling a FaceTime Audio number)
3 you can text iMessage
4 you can text SMS
My understanding is:
1 Yes
2 Yes I believe
3 Yes I believe
4 no, sms is forwarded through iPhone so must be on and connected, but doesn't have to be close.

Comment

Pspressart

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
To the ones who have celluar, do you often use the AW as stand alone in your daily business without any iPhone?
I have the iPhone at my desk, but I wander through the office often and use my AW when I am away from my desk. It works well.

Reactions: kaardowiq
Comment

kaardowiq

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Thanks, i already use this feature in our company building with WIFI. Would suggest this is a cool feautre when going out in the Summer without any iPhone, Sports,... Maybe i should swap my AW0

Reactions: Dopestar
Comment

JWGold

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2017
United States
Your Apple Watch w/cellular has its own internal esim and might as well be a phone that just happens to share the same number as your iPhone. You don't have to have your iPhone with you or even on. This is really handy when exercising, or just want to travel light. I've even forgotten my iPhone at home, but didn't bother to go back and get it. Since I've had my Apple watch I've never missed an important call because I stepped out of the office "just for a minute." I can't tell you how many times it's saved me from missing an important call or text.

Comment

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I go out for a whole day with just the watch and no phone. It is great. The only thing you can't do is look things up really, but communication wise you are completely connected.

Reactions: jazz1
Comment