Apple Watch and cellular

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gw0gvq, Jan 9, 2019.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

If you have an apple watch 4 you can call up numbers to phone. But can you if iPhone is off or must you use the keypad only

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

My understanding is that it can basically serve as your phone so the phone can be off, but you still need to have the phone line on your account

3. Run1stride2nd macrumors newbie

Yes. Phone can be in another state, off, dead. You can still make calls with the watch. I use this often while coaching a mountain bike team so other coaches or parents can reach me while we are in the woods. Or my office needs to reach me, The Watch is clear even while my hands are on the bars and tearing through the trees. Love this watch.

4. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

Yes but do you make calls using Siri or using the keypad on apple watch when iPhone is off

5. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

6. niji Contributor

niji

i also had the same question as the original poster.
    thanks for your clarification.

so, to confirm:
    even though yr iPhone is not connected to the net, and is turned off, and not within bluetooth range:
    1 you can make calls using cellular (as in calling any phone number)
    2 you can make calls using the internet (as in calling a FaceTime Audio number)
    3 you can text iMessage
    4 you can text SMS

7. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

My understanding is:
    1 Yes
    2 Yes I believe
    3 Yes I believe
    4 no, sms is forwarded through iPhone so must be on and connected, but doesn't have to be close.

8. kaardowiq macrumors member

To the ones who have celluar, do you often use the AW as stand alone in your daily business without any iPhone?

9. Pspressart macrumors regular

I have the iPhone at my desk, but I wander through the office often and use my AW when I am away from my desk. It works well.

10. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I’ve found the indepedance of the cellular 4th GEN watch very handy when I do simple things like taking the dog out or other quick trips.

11. kaardowiq macrumors member

Thanks, i already use this feature in our company building with WIFI. Would suggest this is a cool feautre when going out in the Summer without any iPhone, Sports,... Maybe i should swap my AW0

12. JWGold macrumors newbie

JWGold

Your Apple Watch w/cellular has its own internal esim and might as well be a phone that just happens to share the same number as your iPhone. You don't have to have your iPhone with you or even on. This is really handy when exercising, or just want to travel light. I've even forgotten my iPhone at home, but didn't bother to go back and get it. Since I've had my Apple watch I've never missed an important call because I stepped out of the office "just for a minute." I can't tell you how many times it's saved me from missing an important call or text.

13. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

Your contacts list is on the watch.

14. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

I go out for a whole day with just the watch and no phone. It is great. The only thing you can't do is look things up really, but communication wise you are completely connected.