Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I've been trying to help my friend sell her watch on craigslist and i didn't realize i had a distain for lowballers until the offers started rolling in.

she has a 42MM rose gold watch and the offers have been anywhere from 100 to 160 dollar and she priced it at 320. The common response "Why priced so high". I know with my 2014 rMBP i used i sold not too longer ago low ballers were offering me 300 to 400 dollars and i finally found someone who made a decent offer.

I'm wondering if the general attitude is that apple watches are not going to retain their value like iPhones, rMPB's etc? I Told her for 160.00 she would be better off to keep it since that was effectively having a fire sale on the watch.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
You could certainly put in the post on CL that you won't respond to lowball offers to try and keep that at bay. I do not think the AW will retain value like some other Apple products. For one, you wear it so the bands are going to potentially show wear, retain odors, etc.. But that aside, if you don't want to deal with the lowballing, you could also try eBay, but there are other issues with that too.

I had the reverse problem with CL. I respond to a lot of sellers and never get a response. My email basically says, "I'm interested in buying your xxxx , let me know if its still for sale and what condition its in". I get nothing back. Or, in once case I was trying to buy an AW and the guy was basically giving me flip answers and being a little rude. I noticed he's since lowered the price. People are just not very smart sometimes and you can't really avoid that. :)

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
You always get lowball offers on CL. Just ignore it. I always write "lowball offers will be ignored" and always stick to it.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I think $320 for a 42mm is almost a steal price.

Try selling it in the marketplace forum here

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You always get lowball offers on CL. Just ignore it. I always write "lowball offers will be ignored" and always stick to it.
Its just a fact of life - you get people thinking they can maybe slip one past you and get something for a wicked low price.

CR is still better then eBay but its a hassle dealing with those, so I can empathize with the OP

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Its just a fact of life - you get people thinking they can maybe slip one past you and get something for a wicked low price.

CR is still better then eBay but its a hassle dealing with those, so I can empathize with the OP

Sometimes I reply back with "I've seen a broken model for that price, you should check that out. Im asking "set price" for a working model."

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Sell it on swappa.com. As of today, the average price for the Apple Watch Sport is $311.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I've been trying to help my friend sell her watch on craigslist and i didn't realize i had a distain for lowballers until the offers started rolling in.

LoL I wonder how many "Hey I'll pay you double but I'm out of the country ATM and need you to ship it to my nephew! What's your PayPal address?" type of offers you've gotten yet? :p

Man those crack me up, especially when I email them back saying "Sorry, this is in person and cash only. No PayPal or shipping" so they email reply with "OK, I'll pay TRIPLE then! Whats your PayPal address?"
EGDmCdR.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: eyeseeyou

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
What's the going rate on eBay? Why no sell it there.

You lose a lot of control on eBay as a seller. There are some scammers that create new accounts the day of the purchase, with no feedback history. Once they buy it, you are obligated to sell it. You can say no, and refund their money, but they will be able to leave you negative feedback (which hurts if you are 100%).

Ebay's settings are incredibly scattered. It took me a long time to realize I was listing internationally, and had some scammers in South America try to get me to ship it to some place in Florida first. I cancelled, refunded, and they left me negative feedback. Then 3 months later, filed a credit card claim even though they already had their money.

Then you have to worry about people complaining about problems (whether legit or not) after you ship it. Ebay has a guarantee for buyers, so they can make up nearly anything, and blame it on the seller, and they will likely win the opportunity to return it. And you pay for return shipping.

Ebay is a nightmare for sellers of valuable goods. You really have to weed out your buyers. If they aren't 100% in feedback, I wouldn't bother. I've eaten several return expenses for people who simply changed their mind, even though it was clear they were making things up just to return.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

I've bought and sold over 25 times on CL over 1.5 years so I know how it works :)

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Problem with CL is that people have mistaken it as a super discount site. Partly because there are a bunch of people on there selling stolen goods. I see a bunch of iCloud locked phones for sale at 1/3-1/2 price of where they should be, and because of all these listings, people think they are getting an accurate resale price when they are getting illegitimate prices. People just scan for prices, they don't check whether or not the phones are locked/unlocked, broken/working, etc.

Every seems to start their offer at 1/2 the asking price.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Problem with CL is that people have mistaken it as a super discount site. Partly because there are a bunch of people on there selling stolen goods

Thats spot on, because people are used to see really low prices they now expect that for everything.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Problem with CL is that people have mistaken it as a super discount site. Partly because there are a bunch of people on there selling stolen goods. I see a bunch of iCloud locked phones for sale at 1/3-1/2 price of where they should be, and because of all these listings, people think they are getting an accurate resale price when they are getting illegitimate prices. People just scan for prices, they don't check whether or not the phones are locked/unlocked, broken/working, etc.

Every seems to start their offer at 1/2 the asking price.

eBay does not have a much better reputation when it comes to stolen goods. I used to be a big eBay fan but no more. Craig's List may be a pain but it is free in my city and gets the job done if you are willing to filter out the crazy people. Directly dealing with the buyer with cash takes the threat of being scammed out of the picture. Without eBay and Paypal fees you can afford to sell things a little cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: nebo1ss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.