Apple Watch and Gift Card

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by matthew23, Apr 6, 2015.

1. matthew23 macrumors regular

Sorry if this has already been answered but nothing turned up in my search....

I have a $50 Apple gift card I have added to Passbook on my iPhone. I am planning on applying it towards the purchase of my Apple Watch that I am going to pre-order online on the 10th. I do not see anyway to apply it using the Apple Store app on my iphone. Does anyone know if it is possible to apply the gift card toward the first $50 and then pay the rest using my credit card using the App on my phone??

TIA.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I don't think the Store app has an option for gc redemption (I'm in the same boat as you), unless there's something I missed. If we're using gift cards, we may be stuck using the browser version of the store.

My recommendation now is to save the gc's PIN to a text file, that way you can just copy and paste on preorder day.

3. mbhforum macrumors 6502

I am in the same position except I have $550 gift card :) The website is our only option. It amazes me that the Apple App Store app doesn't support TouchID for authentication(I guess they do this for security) or Gift Cards yet. Shouldn't they be drinking their own Kool Aid?

4. matthew23 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone! Too bad the App doesn't accept GCs.

5. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I've been trying to figure this out as well because I also have a couple gift cards. Unfortunately it looks like you'll have to use a computer, which will probably be slower.

What I'll probably do though is pay for it in full in the Apple Store app, then use my gift cards separately to buy accessories for my watch (Bluetooth headphones, alternative watch band, etc...)

6. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat too, and I'm considering trying the "in store reservation" option (IE: reserve a watch on April 10 to pickup and pay for on April 24). But questions remain: Do we have to pay online or can we pay in store. Can we make a reservation through the store app? Will availability for reservations be lower or higher than shipped pre-orders?

I'm starting to wish the person who gave me the gift card had given me cash instead. Then I could just go through the order on the app and see where that takes me.

7. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Unfortunately Apple gift cards can not be applied to the purchase of an Apple Watch, only iPhone, iPads, Macs and iPods...etc

8. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Why wouldn't you be able to use an Apple gift card on a watch? It should work on everything in the store. Why do you think it's not allowed?

9. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I've got a $200 prepaid Visa card that I also would like to apply towards my watch, but I'm not sure if those can be used online or not, I'll have to check. Or I was thinking maybe I should buy an Apple gift card with it before the preordering and use that instead.

10. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

If you register the pre-paid Visa cards online, so they have your name and address, then those are usually allowed for online purchases.