Apple Watch and Ipad

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Anyone think besides an iPhone that we'll be able to use an iPad to control/set up an Apple Watch? I know we'll loose out on calls but other than that everything an iPhone can do an Ipad can also do. Just not calls.

Would be easier using my iPad Air and not having to buy an iPhone.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Anyone think besides an iPhone that we'll be able to use an iPad to control/set up an Apple Watch? I know we'll loose out on calls but other than that everything an iPhone can do an Ipad can also do. Just not calls.

Probably not because the Companion App and Health App only run on the iPhone.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

No I don't think so, at least not initially. I think Apple realizes if you're carrying your iPad with you, it's most likely in a backpack or something similar, and not as convenient as having the iPhone is for when you do need to take it out to do a long reply to an email for example.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No I don't think so, at least not initially. I think Apple realizes if you're carrying your iPad with you, it's most likely in a backpack or something similar, and not as convenient as having the iPhone is for when you do need to take it out to do a long reply to an email for example.
But the iPad being more inconvenient to take out of your bag than an iPhone is exactly why it would be great to be able to pair an iPad with a watch. I don't need to make much phone calls, so if I had an LTE iPad paired to a watch, I might even be able to ditch my phone.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
I think by the fall we'll see that. I think right now it will just be iPhone's and maybe maybe iPod's that will get the watch.