Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
So, I dont think Ive seen this question answered, but will the apple watch pair with an Ipad with cellular service? No reason it wouldnt expect the apps not available right? Would it ever be? In case I decided to bring that over the iphone? Its only lacking telephone/SMS capability.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
So, I dont think Ive seen this question answered, but will the apple watch pair with an Ipad with cellular service? No reason it wouldnt expect the apps not available right? Would it ever be? In case I decided to bring that over the iphone? Its only lacking telephone/SMS capability.

Theres no app on the iPad

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Someone's bound to port it over when the jailbreak comes out. But so many third-party stuff is going to be iPhone only, so you're not going to enjoy it as much.

There is not a situation where you carry around an iPad, and not a phone, not like when you're outside your house anyway. And sure, you might go for a Blackberry, Android, and Windows Phone instead, but why are you going to subject yourself to the pain of dealing with notifications coming from two devices?

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I would wait until Apple decides to make it work with the iPad in an upcoming release. Not guaranteed but certainly possible.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
Well I have an ipad mini, so its not much bigger than an iphone 6 plus - Ive found a few times were carrying both was a pain and decided on only the ipad.
Guess Ill have to keep my phone with me lol

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Well I have an ipad mini, so its not much bigger than an iphone 6 plus - Ive found a few times were carrying both was a pain and decided on only the ipad.
Guess Ill have to keep my phone with me lol

I feel your pain! I prefer my iPad over my iPhone any day. I wish they would just allow an iPhone sim card in the iPad for native texting and calling and not have to rely on carrying my iPhone everywhere just for pairing/continuity. But because of this lack of primary features, I doubt the watch would pair with the iPad initially. I hope they do, but only time will tell though.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I would wait until Apple decides to make it work with the iPad in an upcoming release. Not guaranteed but certainly possible.

Doubtful. The iPads don't have GPS or the Motion chip. The Apple Pay chip isn't fully enabled either. The watch needs these things on the phone to give full functionality.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
NJ

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
slvfscoobie, I've been making FaceTime calls over LTE since my iPad mini came out. in 2013 or 14 Apple added FaceTime calling feature so it's not a video chat. So yes, you can use it as a phone when needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.