Apple Watch and Ipad

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by slvrscoobie, Apr 7, 2015.

1. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

So, I dont think Ive seen this question answered, but will the apple watch pair with an Ipad with cellular service? No reason it wouldnt expect the apps not available right? Would it ever be? In case I decided to bring that over the iphone? Its only lacking telephone/SMS capability.

2. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

Theres no app on the iPad

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Someone's bound to port it over when the jailbreak comes out. But so many third-party stuff is going to be iPhone only, so you're not going to enjoy it as much.

There is not a situation where you carry around an iPad, and not a phone, not like when you're outside your house anyway. And sure, you might go for a Blackberry, Android, and Windows Phone instead, but why are you going to subject yourself to the pain of dealing with notifications coming from two devices?

4. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I would wait until Apple decides to make it work with the iPad in an upcoming release. Not guaranteed but certainly possible.

5. slvrscoobie thread starter macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Well I have an ipad mini, so its not much bigger than an iphone 6 plus - Ive found a few times were carrying both was a pain and decided on only the ipad.
    Guess Ill have to keep my phone with me lol

6. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

According to Apple, it will only pair with an iPhone.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I feel your pain! I prefer my iPad over my iPhone any day. I wish they would just allow an iPhone sim card in the iPad for native texting and calling and not have to rely on carrying my iPhone everywhere just for pairing/continuity. But because of this lack of primary features, I doubt the watch would pair with the iPad initially. I hope they do, but only time will tell though.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Doubtful. The iPads don't have GPS or the Motion chip. The Apple Pay chip isn't fully enabled either. The watch needs these things on the phone to give full functionality.

9. Dhonk macrumors member

Sonicrobby, You can most definitely make calls and text from your iPad without an iPhone. Not sure why you think otherwise. I do it all the time.

Dacreativeguy, you are also wrong. The iPad Air, Air2, mini 2, and mini 3 all have motion coprocessors. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#comparison-chart

10. slvrscoobie thread starter macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

imessage yes, calls and text no.
    and gps! where you been

11. Dhonk macrumors member

slvfscoobie, I've been making FaceTime calls over LTE since my iPad mini came out. in 2013 or 14 Apple added FaceTime calling feature so it's not a video chat. So yes, you can use it as a phone when needed.