Apple Watch and iPhone 5; battery life?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MartinAppleGuy, Oct 24, 2016.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

how much is it affecting the iPhone 5s battery? The notifications I would be wanting on the Watch would only be the likes of iMessages, FaceTime, and phone calls,

2. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I had my iPhone 6P for almost six months before I bought my AW Sport. I use the notifications from iMessages, the Calendar App, a Weather App and I occasionally take phone calls. There is no FaceTime camera on the Watch, so this is not a factor. I also use it for the Workout App, Pedometer App and United Airlines App.

I did not notice any additional drain on my iPhone's battery when I started using my new Watch a year ago. The BlueTooth 4.0 the Watch uses to communicate with your phone when it is in range is very low power. When you are out of BT range and WiFi kicks in, the amount of traffic to and from the Watch is not enough to make a difference with your phone's battery usage.

TxWatch

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I'm talking FaceTime audio as even on my cheapest plan, it's 9X cheaper using data for HD Audio phone calls through FaceTime then using mobile calls :) can the way do this?

Ok that's great! So you see my having no issues battery wise?

4. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I don't see any difference on my iPhone 6s.
    I use bluetooth more to communicate with the Watch, and that drains battery, but I read a lot of notifications on the Watch so I don't need to turn on my iPhone's display and reply to a message, and that saves battery.
    Maybe a workout outdoors can drain battery fast on the iPhone if you don't have series 2 because it uses the iPhone's GPS, but if you used your iPhone to track activity in the past it shouldn't make a big difference.

5. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

I cannot blame the watch for poor battery life on my 5s. I took the 5s to my local apple store and they ran diagnostics and these found that the battery was pretty knackered. As the phone is 3 years old and does exactly what I want it to I had the battery replaced. What a difference ! Both my watch and the 5s are great.

6. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I have not tried FaceTime audio from my Watch, but I do not see how it will drain the phone's battery any faster than a cellular call. Taking calls on the Watch drains the Watch's battery, but that is not what you are asking. The Watch battery life has been debated in many threads on this forum, so I will not go into that here.

I use my Watch for calls when I am by myself in a quiet location and it works well enough that the other caller does not complain. The speaker volume could be a little louder on my AW S0 and it is a little awkward to hold your arm up when talking, but it is doable for short calls.

And again, I have not noticed any difference in the battery life of my phone since buying the Watch.

TxWatch

7. Exinor macrumors member

I've owned both of these together at one point, and I have to say... it actually IMPROVES your phone's battery life. No joke.

8. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thanks for all the replys! Really, so the iPhone 5 didn't have any issues with the Watch battery wise?