Apple Watch and iPhone in car

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dominick624, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Dominick624 macrumors regular

Has anyone tried having the apple watch synced to the iPhone while in their bluetooth enabled car? Does the iPhone automatically sync to the car? Does it just disconnect from the watch? Or can it be connected to both at the same time?

2. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

I assume it'll be connected to both since iPhone can connect to Pebble and car at the same time.

More importantly, can someone please check whether Siri on apple watch uses it's built in mic or uses the car's when activated? My car mic sucks and I'm really hoping I can use the watch's mic even though I want to keep playing music via BT audio in the car.

3. Totalkharnage macrumors 6502

Totalkharnage

Tried over the last few days and the iPhone automatically connects to car when I get in and remains connected to watch.

I streamed music over Bluetooth from the iPhone to the car whilst still receiving notifications on the watch etc.

No problems at all.

4. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

Please try using Siri on the watch and see if car microphone system is activated.

5. thomasfxlt58 macrumors regular

Here's something I've been curious about (I donlt have my Watch yet so perhaps someone will try this). If you have selected a location in Maps on your watch can it handoff to the Maps app on the iPhone ?

6. PurdueAV2003 macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 VW Beetle, and I had an issue placing a call with Siri on the watch. I used Siri on my watch to initiate the call instead of the car's built-in voice controls. The first ring tone went through the watch's speaker, then it cut over to the car's audio. When the person I was dialing answered, though, it cut back over to the watch. I would have preferred to keep the call through the car's audio, but there wasn't an obvious way to select the source on the Apple Watch like there is on the iPhone. However, I've found that my VW audio system doesn't play well with anything after iOS 8, so it may be just another issue unique to the VW.

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

The watch actually uses the phone for maps. So when you start directions on your watch it starts them on the phone automatically. As far as I can tell there is no way to have them just on the watch.

8. Jason83 macrumors regular

Jason83

When I was driving yesterday with my phone connected to car and watch, I received a text via the watch and a call via the car. So everything seems to sync up exactly how one would expect.

9. NotSafeForWork macrumors regular

NotSafeForWork

Uses the Watch microphone.

10. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

I have my phone connected to my Pioneer receiver. In the car if you use Siri on the watch it uses the watch microphone. If you were to use Siri on the phone it would use the car microphone. If you start maps on the phone it will say directions over the receiver but also sync and notify you of turns on the watch, which is really cool!!

11. biosci macrumors 6502a

Jeez. Can't wait for my watch to come in. Siri sucks over my car microphone. Would love for it to work on the watch. Right now, I use a BT earpiece for the most part to interact with the phone on Siri bc it's just a better mic.

12. NotSafeForWork macrumors regular

NotSafeForWork

Note that if you have music playing from your iPhone through the stereo it won't pause when you activate Siri on your watch so you'll need to find a way to manage that background noise.

13. thomasfxlt58 macrumors regular

Thanks for feedback.

14. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

Thank you! My car mic and Siri just do not work well together so this is great news. I didn't realize how bad the car's mic was until my girlfriend called me using the car's BT system one day.