Apple Watch annoyance #1: Why can't we reply to emails???

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Goldfrapp, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

There is dictation to reply to messages. How is replying to emails any different??

2. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

I could see why they left it out.

Look at it like this... Messages are usually short and sweet. "Yeah sure I'll go for Pizza" or "I'm going to be home around 12:45 tonight. Don't wait up."

Emails on the other hand are sometimes/most of the time a little more detailed then messages with line breaks, links and what not. As a user, if an email dictation fails to do it the way I would do it normally by typing, I'm going to get frustrated.

Frustration makes for a bad user experience. They won't risk it until it's perfected.

3. kh26 macrumors newbie

Agreed it's frustating

I agree with PBF - you should be abel to reply to an email just the same as a message. It's not always the case that emails are long and formatted - quite often you just want to reply with "OK" or "Thanks" and a longer reply can use Siri just the same as Messages

4. Ries macrumors 68000

Because contrary to SMS/MMS some emails are structured. I.E indenting, coloring and ton of formatting.

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

But there should at least be the option for those few emails that don't need to typed and extensively formatted.

6. kh26 macrumors newbie

That may be true but it's not ALWAYS true so having no option at all doesn't make sense. If it's not appropriate you can still use your iPhone but where it is appropriate it would be useful to be able to use your Watch - that's a major point of having a Watch, to save pulling your iPhone out all of the time

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I also can't figure out how to mark them as read in an easy way.

Notification comes in
    It opens up to show me the email
    I scroll through and read it

At the bottom I get a button, "Mark as unread"

What??

So I hit dismiss, like you would do to a text, and email remains unread on my phone.

The only work around I have is to open the email in the mail app (which takes a while), and read it in there. So silly.

If only that button said "Mark as read."

'Dismiss' and 'Mark as unread' both seem to do the same thing.

8. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

The email app is so worthless for 99% of my emails. Seems to only be okay with pure text ones.

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

Coming in a future OS update. I'm sure that has to be somewhere on Apple's list of updates.

10. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

This.

11. mattopotamus, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think mark as unread will leave the notification showing on your phone, but dismiss will remove it on your phone.

Just tested: That is exactly what happens. Make as unread leaves the notification badge on your phone. Dismiss removes it. At least that is how it works for me, which is two different things.

12. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

There are already 3rd party apps that will allow you to reply to emails. I've tried a couple and they work fine, although personally I don't have much need to use them - have a look at the Watch Apps section of the forum.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I can attest to this. Marking as unread is useful if it's an important email that you need to get to later so you don't forget.

14. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

I'm mildly annoyed at the inconsistency of dismissing notifications.

Some like ESPN, you have to tap it to get to the next screen to get the option to dismiss.

Others you scroll down to get to the option to dismiss.

Yes, I know force touch will clear them no matter what....I did say this is a mild annoyance....

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So you can't simply swipe down to dismiss?

16. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

But is there and easy way to mark the email as read from the notification?

17. melman101 macrumors 68030

Gripe #2 - Why can't I read most of my e-mails? View this e-mail on your iPhone for full text. LOL

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

not really. You either have to scroll to the bottom and mark it or click the mail icon and go into the app. If you have multiple emails and read them from the app it removes the phone badge.

It make sense that it does this. If you glance and see it is a email, you may just look away from it. If it marked it as read from the glance alone there is a strong chance you would forget about it.

19. karinatwork macrumors regular

karinatwork

I don't really use my watch for emails at all. Texts, fine. Phone calls, sure. But emails?? Of course it's nice that it notifies me that I have an email, and from whom it is, but then I grab my phone to read/reply to it. It's perfect the way it is, at least for me.