Apple Watch: Answer call on watch but then send to iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CoreLokt, May 14, 2015.

1. CoreLokt macrumors newbie

What am I missing here? Do you mean to tell me that I can't answer a call on my watch and then send it back to my iPhone?

2. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

Yes you should be able to. Some people are having an issue with it due to a bug. It should be fixed with the next update.

3. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

I haven't had an issue between my watch and 6 plus. Answer on watch, pull iPhone out of pocket, unlock iPhone with Touch ID, tap glowing green bar at top of screen to resume call on iPhone. Done.

4. Fiestaman macrumors regular

Works that way for me, too. Haven't found a way to do it the other way around, though.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Works for me via handoff in the bottom left of the lock screen

6. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Exactly. It is easy to answer on the watch and then continue on the iPhone, but you can't go back. The bigger issue is that you can't easily answer the call with a BT headset with the watch. You still have to use the actual iPhone to take a call with the headset -- if Pebble can figure this out, I'm sure Apple can too.

7. CoreLokt thread starter macrumors newbie

My apologies, apparently I am not aware of "Handoff". I'll have to look for that on my phone next time I take a phone call on my watch.

8. flur macrumors 68000

Have you tried this with a headset that was paired with the watch, rather than with the phone?

9. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

No, I haven't.

10. CoreLokt thread starter macrumors newbie

I think we're getting to the root of my problem. Apparently I don't have "handoff." I just took a phone call on my watch, then looked all over my iPhone on the lock screen for "handoff", but it doesn't exist. The camera shortcut is there, but nothing in the lower left-hand corner as it should be.

11. flur macrumors 68000

Check to make sure you have handoff turned on in your iphone settings. Go to Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Can you do the following (from the stickied "all the little things" thread):

When receiving a call, you can scroll down and choose the "Answer on iPhone" option. This puts the caller on hold until you answer on the iPhone.

13. CoreLokt thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I got the "handoff" feature to work on a phone call taken on my watch then handed off to my iPhone. I did already have it enabled. So it appears that it is sporadically working but not all the time. Interesting.

To answer the other question, I can use the option "answer on iPhone".

So I guess "handoff" is just like a lot of other Apple Watch features... still a little "buggy".

14. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

Me either. I really enjoy this feature.

15. kuhroo25 macrumors member

You don't need to use handoff to continue the call on your phone. If you just unlock your phone, the green bar should be on top telling you there is an active call. Once you tap into that (or open the phone app), the call switches to the phone.

16. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

If your phone is locked, you'll see a small icon on the bottom left which you swipe up on to transfer the call to the phone, or if the phone is unlocked you'll see a green bar at the top which you can tap to transfer the call.

What you can't do is pro-actively send the call to the phone from the watch, i.e. if you dialled a number on your watch but then wanted to have the call on your phone because you have headphones on and your phone is in your pocket.