Apple Watch App on iPod Touch 5th Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by honglong1976, Apr 28, 2015.

1. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Is there a way to install the Apple Watch App on iPod Touch 5th Gen?

Thanks in advance :)

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I don't see how, as it is a part of the device-specific operating system. You'd have to install an iPhone 5c iOS/ipsw on the iPod touch.
    I'd love to be wrong though.

3. techguy9 macrumors regular

techguy9

Someone may port it to that as a jailbreak tweak, but haven't heard of anyone doing it.

----------

You can't do it that way. You would get an installation error since each ipsw is unique to only one device.

4. honglong1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I am sure it's possible. Remember when the iPhone had an email app and the iPod Touch didn't? then a tweak enabled it.

Bit weird Apple removed the Apple Watch app from iPads too. Very bizarre! Even the cellular ones.

5. techguy9 macrumors regular

techguy9

6. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Apple is losing sales by doing this (admittedly a low amount of sales). Both my kids have iPod touches and they want the watch. iOS would of been an acceptable requirement, but making it specifically iPhones (and ver 5+ at that). Here's to hoping the next iPod rev includes the watch app.

7. honglong1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I agree. I am perfectly happy with my iPod Touch 5G. Would like an Apple watch. Doesn't work. I have an iPad. Doesn't work with that either.

Stupid decision by Apple. Especially when Pebble does work with those. I guess it means for sales for Pebble!

8. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

No there is no way to do that sorry. The Watch requires an iPhone 5 or newer.

9. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I've been thinking the same thing. I hope they release a new iPod touch that has compatibility with the Apple Watch. Requiring a cellular connection isn't necessary for a lot of the features the Apple Watch supports, like email, messages, third party apps, etc.