Apple Watch AppleCare+

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by alanderp, Sep 25, 2018.

1. alanderp macrumors regular

alanderp

Hey all,

My pre-order finally came in on Monday and I went straight to the AppleCare+ purchase when I realized they had a new monthly payment plan for $3.99 a month.

The details for the monthly plan state coverage is cancelled if you stop paying the monthly payments, but then that made me think, what if someone used both accidental warranties within lets say 3 months ($12) and stopped paying the monthly fee of $3.99. How is that fair to people who pay the full $79? I then hopped on Apple Support chat and the rep said paying monthly gives you the same exact insurance plan as the full $79 deal, but she couldn't provide me an answer for the scenario I presented.

Thoughts?

2. mashinhead macrumors 68030

Is AC+ more expensive monthly over a 3 year period. Did anyone buy this?

3. alanderp thread starter macrumors regular

alanderp

I did... In the long run, assuming you stick to the full monthly plan, you end up paying a premium of about $17. You can cancel the monthly plan anytime which is what didn't make sense to me.

4. mashinhead macrumors 68030

I'm basing this off the hermes plan:

Pay in Full $99 for 36/mo
    Pay monthy 3.99*36=$144

5. alanderp thread starter macrumors regular

alanderp

Not sure where you're getting 36 months.

I got the plan for my SS S4 and it's $3.99 for 24 months or $79 outright.

6. mashinhead macrumors 68030

Hermes watch comes with 24 months standard AC. AC+ extends to 3 years.

7. alanderp thread starter macrumors regular

alanderp

Oh, well there you go, $45 premium to pay monthly. Honestly, I still don't know how to the monthly plan works if you can cancel it any time. It's not fair to customers who pay the full price to begin with.

8. mashinhead macrumors 68030

You can cancel the full plan at anytime too, and get a prorated refund for the balance

9. zztops macrumors member

I think everyone is missing OP’s question:

Scenario 1: pay $79 outright and use 2 accidental coverages in a year. Lose the remaining 1 year of accidental coverage. Total cost=$79

Scenario 2: pay $4 monthly and use 2 accidental coverages in a year and then your plan is auto cancelled. Total cost=$48

Obviously scenario 2 is the better option.

If you don’t use it at all and upgrade every year, it’s the same because of the prorated return.

It would be interesting if apple allowed scenario 2 and didn’t implement some sort of fee. Like paying the rest of the normal AC+ cost before using your second accidental coverage option. Monthly may be the way to go. Hopefully someone can chime in.

10. alanderp thread starter macrumors regular

alanderp

Thank you lol. The phone rep I spoke with didn't know how to answer this question.

11. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Scenario 3: never buy a protection plan on anything and save tens of thousands over your lifetime so you can replace a device if you break it.

12. zztops macrumors member

Might work for u, but I personally value my peace of mind to do whatever and not worry about what my wrist touches. And tens of thousands? I need that life lol

13. blwade macrumors 6502a

Have you used a watch for a significant length of time? I bought Apple care for my series 2 space gray watch and wore it all the time (even doing some light work on my car) and I never used Apple care in the 2 years I had it. I was super worried that it being on my wrist would be a problem, but it never was. I definitely smacked that thing into some rails, doorways, walls, etc too and I ended up with one tiny little scratch on the bezel of the watch.

That being said, I’d imagine if you use your 2 claims, you wouldn’t be able to cancel..

Right now, even if you buy outright you can call and cancel at any point and get a prorated refund.