Apple watch apps without Iphone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brooklynapplefan, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Brooklynapplefan macrumors newbie

Brooklynapplefan

are there any apps that the watch can run without the iphone ? Ones you can download from the apple store? I bet you if not will be on the next one maybe

2. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

Not Yet BUT the word on the street is that iOS9 (being launched at WWDC 2015 in June) will have support for native apps! So soon!~

3. Brooklynapplefan thread starter macrumors newbie

Brooklynapplefan

4. msavich macrumors member

msavich

FWIW, it seems that the Watch can run third-party apps as long as it is on the same network as the iPhone.

5. Brooklynapplefan thread starter macrumors newbie

Brooklynapplefan

Same network? But if i dont have my phone and i am at a park lets say ? Or if i am home and my phone is at my friends house

6. msavich macrumors member

msavich

7. swandy macrumors regular

No - if the iPhone and Watch are not close enough to pair via bluetooth, they will pair on a "known" Wifi network - like your home or office. Most public networks (like Starbucks) are not supposed to work, but I have not tried it.
    Some of the built in apps (Music - if you have some music synced to the Watch; Photos - again if you have some photos synced to the Watch, tell time, the Workout App/Activity Circles will work, watch face to tell time) will work without the iPhone paired. I think there are a few other things that the Watch can do when it is not actually paired to your iPhone.
    But most apps - especially the 3rd party ones - are nothing more than extensions of the iPhone app and need access to the iPhone and it's apps to actually work/update.