Apple Watch at the beach

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bapps, May 31, 2015.

1. bapps macrumors newbie

I live in Hawaii, and was wondering about the Apple Watch at the beach. Not in the ocean of course, but being in the sun. My iPhone will overheat, and I'm wondering if it's the same thing with the watch. I'm guessing that I'll have to take it off in this situation, but wondering if anyone has experience and can comment.

Mahalo!

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'd worry more about the sand. Wouldn't want it getting into the mic/speaker hole

3. bapps thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point.

4. Bromeo macrumors regular

As far as heat goes, my Space Gray has not overheated even in direct sunlight in a small private plane, a n environment conducive to overheating due to the more intense sunlight at altitude and thinner air. I think part of the reason is that with the watch in contact with your skin, your body helps regulate the temperature of the device by taking excess heat away. Another factor is the OLED display is far more power efficient than LCD as on an iPhone, so it isn't having to generate massive amounts of backlighting to get through the LCD and filters in an attempt to outmatch the sun.

It should be noted that Apple recommends keeping the watch out of direct sunlight if not being worn... In other words, your body does help cool it.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I would be more concerned with the big white square on your tan arm.

6. bapps thread starter macrumors newbie

This is really helpful. Thanks!!