Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kynetyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
O-H
My wife and I are just about to have a baby. I noticed during the keynote the presenter had live images of his garage door going up. We got to thinking how cool this would be for my wife and I to be able to see our baby while sleeping when we are at work by inconspicuously watching her on our watches.

Has anyone looked for these? Any suggestions as to where to begin to look?

gladd06

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2015
I believe DropCam has a phone app, so only a matter of time until the app for the watch appears, if its not out there already.

Also, many of the Motorola baby monitors seem to use Iphone for viewing, so same boat as dropcam.

Will be awesome once it happens.

thewired1

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
We're expecting our first child in about a month! We got the iBaby m6 video monitor which has a FANTASTIC iphone and ipad app. Based on their past support, I'm really hoping a watch app is released for it soon.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
We're expecting our first child in about a month! We got the iBaby m6 video monitor which has a FANTASTIC iphone and ipad app. Based on their past support, I'm really hoping a watch app is released for it soon.

I like the iPhone and iPad as well .. has a really nice clock on it with alarms. etc.

With all that RF going on in the iWatch ... wonder if wrist cancers will go up after a few years.

I never hold the iPhone to my head cause the RF issues and the increased incidence of brain cancers in the industrialize populations. People who do not have the money to buy a RF transmitter to hold next to their heads, their brain cancer rate is the same as it was in history.

:(:(:(

kynetyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
O-H
I like the iPhone and iPad as well .. has a really nice clock on it with alarms. etc.

With all that RF going on in the iWatch ... wonder if wrist cancers will go up after a few years.

I never hold the iPhone to my head cause the RF issues and the increased incidence of brain cancers in the industrialize populations. People who do not have the money to buy a RF transmitter to hold next to their heads, their brain cancer rate is the same as it was in history.

:confused: buzzkill.

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010

The urge to tinfoil hat is strong with this one...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Non ionizing radiation is not an issue, you're exposed to it all day every day. If you stick your head in a microwave you're gonna have a problem. RFID, Wifi, etc are the equivalent in radiation to a lightbulb...which is also radiating you.

You'll notice the industrialized nations with high cancer rates are those whom eat "food like product" instead of food...mainly the USA.

thewired1

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010

What does this have to do with baby monitors?

sheaitisnotso

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Congratulations to you guys! We have a 4 month old and couldn't be happier.

We are using the dropcam and I highly recommend as long as you have a good high speed interenet connection. Being able to view video on the iPhone and iPad is great, I would just buy a separate noise monitor in the event that your internet goes down or the power goes out. Can't wait to see if dropcam comes out with an app for the watch.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
:confused: buzzkill.

Oh my bad ... sorry ... I don't have special privileged access here.

Live and learn ... I guess.

:apple::apple::apple:

Inappropriate posting in a debate. The Rules for Appropriate Debate apply when users disagree with each other. We insist on a certain level of respect and civility toward other users, even when your viewpoints differ, and prohibit posts that attack posters personally or serve only to anger others (see "trolling" above).
Frivolous and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.

thewired1

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010

Inappropriate posting in a debate. The Rules for Appropriate Debate apply when users disagree with each other. We insist on a certain level of respect and civility toward other users, even when your viewpoints differ, and prohibit posts that attack posters personally or serve only to anger others (see "trolling" above).
Frivolous and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.

It has nothing to do with "special privileged access"... we're talking about baby monitors in this thread... not "RF issues" or "brain cancers in the industrialize populations."

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston

Join Date: April 2015 but you're an expert on what constitutes appropriate debate on this forum now?

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
I believe DropCam has a phone app, so only a matter of time until the app for the watch appears, if its not out there already.

Also, many of the Motorola baby monitors seem to use Iphone for viewing, so same boat as dropcam.

Will be awesome once it happens.

Don't expect Dropcam support for a long while. It's a google property and they have been very slow to iterate on iOS.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Don't expect Dropcam support for a long while. It's a google property and they have been very slow to iterate on iOS.

Yep. I'd bet we see Nest support though before Dropcam even though they are the same company now.

zkmusa

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Dallas, TX
Congrats on the little one!

If you have a spare iPhone, I have found Cloud Baby Monitor to be an excellent solution. You can view the video on up to two iOS devices at a time or on a Mac. It sends noise and motion alerts as well. The latest version works with the Apple Watch, and will display live video on the watch.

CrazyMutha29

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010

If you have a spare iPhone, I have found Cloud Baby Monitor to be an excellent solution. You can view the video on up to two iOS devices at a time or on a Mac. It sends noise and motion alerts as well. The latest version works with the Apple Watch, and will display live video on the watch.

We've used this as well with our daughter. We have a Motorola Video monitor for overnight, but this is great for when we're on the move around the house trying to get things done during naptime. This past weekend I was outside doing yard work and left my phone inside. I could check the camera on my watch periodically to make sure all was well and also received a notification on my watch when she woke up. Really cool stuff!!

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015

Thanks for the link. This baby monitor app looks really nice and I am considering getting it. I've quoted the website which appears to say that you must open the iPhone app first before you can view baby video on your Watch. Is that true? I was hoping I could just access the video stream on my Watch at any time, without first accessing my phone.

Using Cloud Baby Monitor on the Apple Watch is super simple. Start monitoring on your iPhone, press the sleep button to switch off the screen and keep the iPhone in your pocket. Then swipe up on the Watch to reveal a Cloud Baby Monitor Watch Glance or start a Cloud Baby Monitor Watch App and you will get the live video and noise level indicator right on your wrist.

CrazyMutha29

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Yes, the app must be active on your phone for the watch to pull the video. I just left the app running on my Phone which I left inside and was able to access it on my watch. Another important note is the the notifications do not require the app to be running on any device except for the monitoring device.

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Yes, the app must be active on your phone for the watch to pull the video. I just left the app running on my Phone which I left inside and was able to access it on my watch. Another important note is the the notifications do not require the app to be running on any device except for the monitoring device.

zkmusa and CrazyMutha29,

Thanks! I bought Cloud Baby Monitor and it works great on the Apple Watch. When I show my co-workers that I can see a live video stream from my house right on my wrist it blows their minds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.