Apple Watch band lock mechanism broken

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nickelanddime, Apr 26, 2015.

1. nickelanddime macrumors member

So, I got my Apple Watch Friday (38mm), and absolutely love it so far. I (very carefully) took the straps off, to explore the case. Now the lock mechanism broke. The top band now slides freely all the way across. I can't take this to play tennis tomorrow, as I fear the watch will fly off when swinging the racket. If this were later in the lifecycle, I could have swapped it out in the Apple Store. I've been reminded of the risks of being an early adopter!!

Anyone else with this issue?

My watch:
    38mm Steel Case with Classic Buckle.

2. LasersGoPewPew macrumors regular

LasersGoPewPew

I had this issue with the sport band on the SS. It finally clicked in after fiddling with it, scared me for a second. I hope it doesn't become a big issue down the road.

3. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

I have this exact issue with the a 42mm SS Classic Buckle as well.

4. ventmore macrumors 6502

The M/L piece of my sport band does this. It will drop in if I fiddle with it, and once it's in, it ain't going anywhere.

5. mobutt macrumors 6502

Happened to mine, had to send it in and should be here by Monday. Let's hope.

6. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

Did you have to actually send your watch in to Apple? How are they getting you one year this Monday? I am afraid I am going to have to do that but don't really want to send back so quick.

7. mobutt macrumors 6502

I took it to the store on Friday. They told me it would be a 3-5 day turn around and a senior apple care advisor today told me I should have it by Monday and if not on Tuesday that I should call him.

8. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

Interesting. Thanks. I wonder why they can't just send out replacement band? I noticed it's a problem with the band, not the watch body itself cause I try the top part on both sides and the top part works perfect. I thought maybe a replacement band should do the trick.

9. mobutt macrumors 6502

Oh, in my case they attempted other bands at the Genius Bar and determined the watch was the issue. They were actually giving me a classic buckle as a loaner while they were ordering me a Milanese loop.

10. sbharj macrumors member

Same.

11. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

No kidding! That's good to know (about how they handled it- not how that you had the issues). I didn't realize they had loaner stock or had other straps.

I don't think it's my watch cause I tried the top part on the bottom and it works fine, so I assumed it was the bottom part of the strap. I figured they could just order the strap.