Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lykbutta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Morning all. The first nights I’ve had my Apple Watch Series 5 I’ve noticed I’ve gone to bed with battery at around 25-30% and waking up and the watch dead, which didn’t happen with my series 4. Tonight after falling asleep on the couch, i got up and moved to my bed and glanced at the watch. Ok. 30%. Good stuff. Went back out to into the living room to grab my phone charger, I’ll use the watch light to not have to walk around the room....went to turn it on. Watch shows the cable saying it needs the charger. Anyone else run into this problem? It can’t suddenly drop from 30 to zero...and that explains the weak battery life over night.

lykbutta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Another thing that happens, when I charge it up it jumps right to 25%. If it’s dead why not start at 0%...1%...etc. I went to apple however since I bought it at Verizon they sent me to Verizon. I’m assuming they want to keep their stock to sale, not to replace. Ugh. Currently standing here at the Verizon store.

lykbutta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Update. Took it to the Verizon store and they saw the problem immediately and replaced it. One thing I didn’t like however was the Apple store representative said basically due to stock restrictions they couldn’t replace ...understood, should’ve stopped by Verizon first...however the Apple employee told me to be dishonest with Verizon. They said if I told Verizon it was defective that they would send me back to Apple and they would send it for repair. I don’t like that approach. I just told Verizon the truth and I walked away with a new watch. Be honest folks!!

Attachments

• DC33E32A-B1C6-4E6E-B1ED-5B70B1DE7892.jpeg
    DC33E32A-B1C6-4E6E-B1ED-5B70B1DE7892.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 386
Reactions: worker73

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I am reviving this, as I am experiencing the same thing. One month old Series 5 (GPS). I have an appointment next weekend to have my watch looked at, but I am wondering if there are any other troubleshooting steps I can take in the meantime?

My watch never charges to 100%. It always stops at 99%. If I remove it from the charger and reboot, it will display 100% upon reboot. But it can be on the charger at 99% for hours. Also, once it reboots, it will stay at 100% for at least three hours. Having owned prior incarnations of the AW, I know this to be impossible.

Once the watch hits 35-30% it just dies. Upon attaching it to the charger, it powers up and is immediately 15-25% full, when it probably should be less than 5% full if it was truly dead.

I just did a full reset and set it up as new without installing 3rd party apps and it still only charged to 99%. Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I've got a repair in with Apple and will be shipping my watch off to them. It's been going on about 7 hours displaying 100% charge since I rebooted it (after charging to 99%) at 9am. I think I got a bad one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.